Dusk supports isometric maps?

Hello guys.

I created a isometric map in Tiled editor, loaded it in Dusk but its does not rendering correct.

I attached screenshots. First screenshot- as i see map in Tiled editor and second is what corona simulator shows

I’m sure Caleb will chime in eventually, but I don’t believe that Dusk supports iso maps.

MTE (million tile engine, which is also now free) does support iso maps, but the MTE engine itself  isn’t supported any longer.

Alex@Panc, thank you for reply. 

It’s so sad:( . I already tried MTE , yes, its full supports isometric maps, but fps drops is very huge if map bigger than 100x60 tiles. 

So i decided to use Dusk, but now seems only way to get iso maps support is to write engine myself :( 

Here’s a link that might give you a leg up:

http://battleofbrothers.com/sirchris/isometric-tiles-and-pathfinding-with-corona

Having an engine that supports iso maps is one thing. IMO the more important portion is having solid pathfinding logic that supports isometric movement.

I agree with you, but that pathfinding logic have no sense if game rendering map with low fps :slight_smile:

i searched engine that would have nice optimisation and support iso maps. Dusk have nice optimisation and have no support iso maps and MTE have worst optimisation but supports iso maps

If you take a look at that link, there is logic for actually creating a very simple isometric gameboard. It’s just a bit of extra work to make the board generation read from a text/json file, so that pre-defined maps can be used. I also know that Tiled does support json exporting, so that is a nice shortcut for you as well.

I realize that it seems like you aren’t getting a leg up, because you can’t leverage Dusk/MTE for level creation, but unless you’re going to be using a lot of the additional features of those engines, you might be best served creating your own levels in this fashion.

@thefest29,  

I agree w/ Alex.  You don’t necessarily need to use Dusk in order to create a game/levels using Tiled.  Yes, you may be giving up on some great pre-packaged features that Dusk provides, but then again maybe you don’t need them and/or you have a learning opportunity here. 

Anyways,  I’m sticking my nose in because I’m using Tiled and my own home rolled loader for an orthogonally tiled game.  You may find something useful in my loader if the other resources you have available to you don’t get the job done.

http://github.com/roaminggamer/SSKCorona/blob/master/ssk/tools/tiledLoader.lua

-Ed

PS - My loader does not draw levels.  It loads the object sheets and then uses maker functions based on the gid found for each object.   i.e. I just use tiled for layout.

Thanks guys.

I’ll try to write own engine which will have functions only i need. And you are right, this is useful experience

I’m sure Caleb will chime in eventually, but I don’t believe that Dusk supports iso maps.

MTE (million tile engine, which is also now free) does support iso maps, but the MTE engine itself  isn’t supported any longer.

Alex@Panc, thank you for reply. 

It’s so sad:( . I already tried MTE , yes, its full supports isometric maps, but fps drops is very huge if map bigger than 100x60 tiles. 

So i decided to use Dusk, but now seems only way to get iso maps support is to write engine myself :( 

Here’s a link that might give you a leg up:

http://battleofbrothers.com/sirchris/isometric-tiles-and-pathfinding-with-corona

Having an engine that supports iso maps is one thing. IMO the more important portion is having solid pathfinding logic that supports isometric movement.

I agree with you, but that pathfinding logic have no sense if game rendering map with low fps :slight_smile:

i searched engine that would have nice optimisation and support iso maps. Dusk have nice optimisation and have no support iso maps and MTE have worst optimisation but supports iso maps

If you take a look at that link, there is logic for actually creating a very simple isometric gameboard. It’s just a bit of extra work to make the board generation read from a text/json file, so that pre-defined maps can be used. I also know that Tiled does support json exporting, so that is a nice shortcut for you as well.

I realize that it seems like you aren’t getting a leg up, because you can’t leverage Dusk/MTE for level creation, but unless you’re going to be using a lot of the additional features of those engines, you might be best served creating your own levels in this fashion.

@thefest29,  

I agree w/ Alex.  You don’t necessarily need to use Dusk in order to create a game/levels using Tiled.  Yes, you may be giving up on some great pre-packaged features that Dusk provides, but then again maybe you don’t need them and/or you have a learning opportunity here. 

Anyways,  I’m sticking my nose in because I’m using Tiled and my own home rolled loader for an orthogonally tiled game.  You may find something useful in my loader if the other resources you have available to you don’t get the job done.

http://github.com/roaminggamer/SSKCorona/blob/master/ssk/tools/tiledLoader.lua

-Ed

PS - My loader does not draw levels.  It loads the object sheets and then uses maker functions based on the gid found for each object.   i.e. I just use tiled for layout.

Thanks guys.

I’ll try to write own engine which will have functions only i need. And you are right, this is useful experience