'EAT - Frameworks' Released

EAT Lean Announcement —>  https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/65180-eat-lean-released/

Get EAT Lean here:  https://gumroad.com/l/eatlean#

Hi folks!  ‘EAT - Frameworks’ has (finally) been released (see videos at bottom of this post).

Current Version (2016.008)

Last Updated: 22 JUL 2016

Get It & Try It (FREE)
You can get it here and run it in trial mode:

• http://github.com/roaminggamer/EAT-Frameworks/tree/master/latest
  • See video below for more on getting and running the tool.
  • Tip: This tool is UNSIGNED.  So, you may need to ‘give permission’ for it to access the internet and to save files to your system.  
  • This is an ‘_ early adopter _’ release, meaning not all features are in and some small issues may exist.  Updates will be frequent and significant.  Be sure you to update your copy of the tool often during this period.

Registering
Then, if you want you can get a license key here (subscription or one-time key) ( PayPal accepted ):

In A Nutshell
The videos (below) talk about what this tool is, but in a nutshell:

• I have wanted to make a tool for generating working projects for some time.  This is my first release (third attempt) at such a tool.
  • I answer a lot of questions in the forums and I answer the same kinds of questions over and over.  This tool solves the most commonly encountered problems and new solutions will be added over time.
  • This is a tool for me too.  I am using this tool to make my own games so I’ll be fixing and adding new features as time goes on.  A license to this tool entitles you to all of those updates.  Also, if you  find issues or want features, you can tell me.  i.e. You guys have the ideas and let me do the heavy-lifting.  Win-Win.

Get Help / Give Feedback / Ask Questions

• There is a Wiki  where I am documenting the tool and addons.  The tool also has built-in help (see tour video below).
  • Give Feedback and Ask Questions here in this post or in other forums posts.
    • Tip: If you ask a question in a new forum post, add ‘EAT:’ as the first part of you post’s title.  That way I will see it and answer it faster.

For Example
Above I said that I answer a lot of questions and this tool is designed to answer those questions.  In reality, it is designed to prevent people from running into the issues that caused the questions and/or to provide answers to those questions.  

For example these questions (just this month) would have been avoided or answered by using my tool to generate project frameworks (note I only answered some of these as I was busy coding EAT):

623926239662412624286240962433624426243862459624646253562119625576257162574,  625786258562599626016261162613625976263862674626876269462722627116273762740627456275562760

VIDEO - ‘EAT - Frameworks’ First Run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmSCFilW3Mg

VIDEO - A Tour of ‘EAT - Frameworks’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOW2hy7eSs

This looks great, can’t wait to play around with it.  License purchased :slight_smile:

Ed, what happens if I buy the monthly subscription and then cancel the subscription after one month? Does the tool stop working or does it just stop getting updates?

Nice work mate… Should really help people new to corona. When your program is more stable/mature perhaps it could get bundled with the SDK?

Here is how licenses work:

Monthly (similar for 3-month and 6-month;) (This license is always valid for all versions*)

_Example 1: _You subscribe, and discontinue after the first month.

• Your tool will work (be fully unlocked) during the subscription period, but in the second month it will revert to ‘Trial Mode’. 
  • You will not lose your projects.

_Example 2: _You subscribe and then cancel the subscription (request a refund).

• Your tool will work (be fully unlocked) until the refund goes through and then it will revert to ‘Trial Mode’.

* You get updates for free with the subscription license. 

One-Time (Buy once, get updates for the life of EAT-Frameworks**)

_Example 1: _You buy a one-time license

• Your tool will work (be fully unlocked) forever.

_Example 2: _You buy a one-time license and then cancel the purchase (request a refund).

• Your tool will work (be fully unlocked) until the refund goes through and then it will revert to ‘Trial Mode’.

** You get updates for free till the next major revision, but that is at least a year off, so free updates for a year+.

OK, so since you’ve shared so much since I’ve been here on Corona, and I’ve learned a lot from your code I decided I’d just buy this sight unseen, and hope it supports you a little :slight_smile:

If I install this on both my Macs and then want it on the PC, can I just uninstall it from one mac, and install it or is it a manual (PITA) process. (I use the Mini as the power machine, the mac air for evening ‘relaxation’ and the PC when I’m travelling/working. Not a big deal, just a question.

First glance, looks great! It WILL save hours of work!

To answer the question you asked in the second video, I would like to see more game templates included.  It looks like there is no longer a store to add more modules/plugins/templates like there was in the beta build.

@Graham,

You can simply run it from your Two Macs and PC.  The licensing system is designed to trip for over-registration and it has a margin built-in for cases like yours.

So,  if you have two machines you use a lot and a third you use occasionally, using it on the third machine won’t be a problem.  Worst case,  if someone triggers my ‘too many registrations’ alert, I’ll contact them and see what’s what. 

Thanks for asking!

@tonygod,

Thanks for the input.  Yeah, I decided to completely remove the store idea because it was making the development take a long time and become error laden.  As it was, I took forever to release this.

Now, to additional features and content.

Cheer,

Ed

Absolutely perfect, as thats the case 95% of the time - thanks.

While using EAT on a smaller screen Mac, I lose the ability to see more options. Either a scroll bar or the ability to close sub-items would help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25547044/EATSS1.png

(I know the values aren’t valid)

@Graham,

Please note, there is an issue with re-sizing desktop apps on OSX.  I am investigating now.  

Because of this issue, I set the OS X version to be non-resizeable.   This is temporary.  

Also, I went with a resolution (for OSX) of 1200 x 675 to ensure the app would fit on smaller screens of 1280 x 800 (got number from answers here).

There will be a new release on 26 APR 2016.  Assuming I don’t resolve the resizing issue by then I’ll make the app a little bigger.

BTW, what does ‘EAT’ mean anyway?

@Graham (and all other OS X users ),

There is currently a technical issue with resizing vs scale.  Specifically, adaptive scaling is not supported for OS X Desktop and this create a challenge if one wants to allow resizing while preventing simultaneous rescaling.

While I work out a solution, I have an interim bandaid.  There are now two OS X releases:

• OSX/ - 1778 x 1000 (should fit on a 1920 x 1080 and larger sized monitor.)
  • OSX_SmallScreen/ - 1200 x 675 (should fit on a 1200 x 800 resolution Mac Book monitor.)

@JohnPM - re: What does EAT mean?

I’m terrible at marketing and naming.  Originally, the plan was to call the tool: GDT for Corona SDK.  i.e The very creative ‘Game Developers Toolkit’ for Corona SDK.   :rolleyes:

However, my wife suggested “Ed’s Awesome Tools”.  I joked about this on the Corona Geek hangout and it stuck.  

So, while it seems a little egotistical (Yes, my first name is Ed), please understand that I kept it because it was easy to remember and funny.  

For example, current and soon to be released tools:

• ‘EAT - Frameworks’ ==> Framework Generator
  • ‘EAT - Utilities’ ==> Utilities Grab Bag (Icon Generator, Launch Image Generator, Particle Editors (Corona, CBE, Prism), … more?
  • ‘EAT - Shorts’ ==> An idea I’m floating for a tool that generates short example answers to the most common questions. i.e. Focused answers with a few tweakable options to get the answer folks need for specific mechanics/usage issues.

I think you will agree the EAT part just sticks in the mind and is amenable to tweaking and variations.

EAT will generate an invalid build.settings file when setting more than one of the “supportsScreen” values to true:

supportsScreens = { smallScreens = true normalScreens = true largeScreens = true xlargeScreens = true },

The comma separator between table items is missing.

@tonygod,

Fixed and released in version 2016.006.

This looks great, can’t wait to play around with it.  License purchased :slight_smile:

Ed, what happens if I buy the monthly subscription and then cancel the subscription after one month? Does the tool stop working or does it just stop getting updates?

Nice work mate… Should really help people new to corona. When your program is more stable/mature perhaps it could get bundled with the SDK?

Here is how licenses work:

Monthly (similar for 3-month and 6-month;) (This license is always valid for all versions*)

_Example 1: _You subscribe, and discontinue after the first month.

• Your tool will work (be fully unlocked) during the subscription period, but in the second month it will revert to ‘Trial Mode’. 

_Example 2: _You subscribe and then cancel the subscription (request a refund).

* You get updates for free with the subscription license. 

One-Time (Buy once, get updates for the life of EAT-Frameworks**)

_Example 1: _You buy a one-time license

• Your tool will work (be fully unlocked) forever.

_Example 2: _You buy a one-time license and then cancel the purchase (request a refund).

** You get updates for free till the next major revision, but that is at least a year off, so free updates for a year+.