Enhanced magnetometer events

Both iOS and Android provide magnetometer event values for x, y, and z geomagnetic field strength. Corona appears to only return “event.magnetic” - the heading in degrees (clockwise) relative to the magnetic North Pole.

Would it be a major effort to simply return the x,y,z values that already exist in the Apple and Android platforms? Doing this could open up new creations - consider the demo below:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/11/iphone-magnet-trick.html

I would put in a feature request feedback.coronalabs.com

So stick it into the black hole?

I’d hope providing these existing values would not be a monumental effort. The x,y,z values already exist in the Apple and Android platforms - no calculations required.

You have several choices.

1. Put in a feature request. It’s not a black hole by any means. We are constantly evaluating what’s there. But there are a lot of moving parts to feature requests. But the biggest one is how beneficial is it to the community. We have a small staff and there is a limited amount of things we can work on at a time. A request has several factors:  popularity, difficulty, easy but time consuming and others that we have to consider. But if we don’t have there request then we don’t have a starting point.

2. Upgrade to Enterprise. You could then write your own native side code to fetch the values and return them to Lua.

3. Upgrade to Enterprise and do the same thing, but build a plugin instead. You can submit it to the Marketplace for others to have.

4. Upgrade to Enterprise and get another Enterprise developer to build the plugin for you.

5. Stay with Corona SDK and get another Enterprise developer to build the plugin and submit it to the Marketplace.

Honestly this sounds like a great Enterprise project. The whole idea behind Enterprise is understanding that we can’t build every request out there, or we may not get to it as fast as you want it. And if you need a one-off feature, this is the way. We offer a 30 day (I think) trial of Enterprise so you can see what you can do with it.  But this also sounds like a great plugin candidate.

Rob

But this also sounds like a great plugin candidate.

Any guru-type volunteers?

I would put in a feature request feedback.coronalabs.com

So stick it into the black hole?

I’d hope providing these existing values would not be a monumental effort. The x,y,z values already exist in the Apple and Android platforms - no calculations required.

You have several choices.

1. Put in a feature request. It’s not a black hole by any means. We are constantly evaluating what’s there. But there are a lot of moving parts to feature requests. But the biggest one is how beneficial is it to the community. We have a small staff and there is a limited amount of things we can work on at a time. A request has several factors:  popularity, difficulty, easy but time consuming and others that we have to consider. But if we don’t have there request then we don’t have a starting point.

2. Upgrade to Enterprise. You could then write your own native side code to fetch the values and return them to Lua.

3. Upgrade to Enterprise and do the same thing, but build a plugin instead. You can submit it to the Marketplace for others to have.

4. Upgrade to Enterprise and get another Enterprise developer to build the plugin for you.

5. Stay with Corona SDK and get another Enterprise developer to build the plugin and submit it to the Marketplace.

Honestly this sounds like a great Enterprise project. The whole idea behind Enterprise is understanding that we can’t build every request out there, or we may not get to it as fast as you want it. And if you need a one-off feature, this is the way. We offer a 30 day (I think) trial of Enterprise so you can see what you can do with it.  But this also sounds like a great plugin candidate.

Rob

But this also sounds like a great plugin candidate.

Any guru-type volunteers?