ERROR: validate-settings after editing build.settings changed the default app to open it with

I’m working through the Corona SDK mobile game dev by Fernandez (2015), and in chapter 3 it guided me to edit the build.settings file. The only change it suggested was for the orientation settings, changing from "portrait" in default to "landscapeRight" and in supported to "landscapeLeft", "landscapeRight".

The suggestion was to open build.settings with any text editor. To keep it simple, I used Notepad.

However, Windows then automatically changed the default app to open .settings files with to Notepad. And since then, Solar2D won’t build the app. And whenever I relaunch it in the simulator, it displays the following error message in the Console:
10:50:51.759 ERROR: validate-settings: problem loading [...]\Breakout\build.settings:

I’m hoping to solve the problem by changing the default app for opening .settings back to what it was originally.

• Is anyone able to tell me what the default app should be, for Solar2D simulator to be able to load it properly?
  • And where should I be able to find it?

I don’t believe there is a default app, because it is simply a text file and should be able to be opened by whichever text editor you use.
I initially used Notepad in the past to edit build.settings and it worked just fine, however that was a long time ago and I’ve since moved onto using various different IDEs. I believe Sublime Text is the most common editor used for Solar 2D - I’m using it currently and it can edit that file just fine.

My guess would be that you’ve either inadvertently made a mistake in your changes (deleting a " or a , for example).

1 Like

Yeah, sorry, I ended up discovering the mistake (missing a comma). Just a coincidence that the default app changed, which made me think that was causing the issue.

I tried to find a way to delete my post before it was approved, but couldn’t find one. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks so much for the reply.