Error while compiling icons

This week I cannot build for iOS. Everything worked as of Wednesday. I suspect an Xcode update, but cannot pin it down.

This happens on all my iOS builds of all my (stable) apps. Same result for Solar2d builds 3701,3700,3696,3617.

The symptoms:

1. Xcode mismatch: target is 17.0 but installed is 17.2 (Xcode ‘about’ says Version 15.1 (15C65))
  2. Build fails with Exit code 1 and output: ERROR: while compiling icons: BUILD ERROR:
  3. I can get rid of the build error by renaming the Contents.json file in AppIcon.appiconset
  4. Build of app without Contents.json completes without error but then on submitting to App Store, has (reliably, always) 4 errors: missing 3 icons (120,167,152) and missing CFBundleIconName. Putting that with value ‘AppIcon’ in build.settings makes no difference.

I just started getting this problem and failures yesterday, but it could have started as long ago as Thursday (not building the apps with Contents.json on Thursday and Friday).

I have tried remaking the icons and Contents.json with 4 different icon tools.

Any suggestions? I have run out of ideas of what to try.

I am on the same version of XCode and targeting iOS 17 but haven’t had an issue with icons.

The following bit goes into our plist in build.settings and I am attaching the Image.xcassets directory from a build that I successfully submitted to Apple yesterday.

CFBundleIconFiles = {
                "Icon-40.png",
                "Icon-58.png",
                "Icon-76.png",
                "Icon-80.png",
                "Icon-87.png",
                "Icon-120.png",
                "Icon-152.png",
                "Icon-167.png",
                "Icon-180.png",
                "Icon-1024.png",
            },

Hope this helps.
Images.xcassets.zip (946.4 KB)

Nothing made a difference. I tried:

• replacing my Images.xcassets with yours.
  • adding the file names in build.settings (though a post a few years ago from Vlad said we don’t ever need to put in CF… because Solar2D does it for us)

Behavior is exactly the same.

I think it has to be some problem with xcode, but everything is up to date on my Mac.

I have had similar problems in the past that were fixed by deleting directories and re-creating them. That has not helped so far, and all of my previously working apps have the same problem.

Hmm that’s weird. Have you tried going back 1-2 versions of Solar2D to see if that makes any difference?

I haven’t used the solar2d simulator interface to set up a new project in years and just maintain a template project folder which I duplicate whenever I’m starting work on a new app so I wouldn’t know if something’s changed with how solar2d sets up new projects.

I have tried Solar2D versions 3701,3700,3696,3617. But the behavior changed between Wednesday (all working) and Saturday, and Solar2D did not change.

I also do a copy/paste to start new projects. But the key is that NONE of my apps that contain a Contents.json in the AppIcon.appiconset directory will build without that icon error. And none of them without a Contents.json will load without error into the App Store. That is what is really weird.

I just updated to Ventura 13.6.3, and, as expected, made no difference.

The only thing I can think of is that changed in the two days is that I might have updated the xcode command line tools, but that seem minor.

This is the build step that fails:

Building: Compiling Xcode assets catalog

And why is there a mismatch in Xcode versions? Waiting for a new build of Solar2D?

FIXED.

Although I have started Xcode more than a dozen times the past 3 days, and checked both the app store and system settings for updates, just now when I started Xcode, it suggested to install iOS Simulator for 17.2. After I did that, it all works.

1 Like

I’m getting the same error, also started occurring after the Xcode udpate! But I’m unable to install iOS simulator 17.2. I’m under MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2, Xcode 15.1. Seems to only let me use simulators for iOS 17.1?

I have the same problem as you: no build works.
You can download version 17.2 of the simulator from this page:
https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=Simulator%20Runtime
I’m trying to install this version and I’ll let you know here whether the build problem has been fixed or not.

Good news! Build 3702 was posted today, and that appears to solve this problem for me. Didn’t need to install anything new on my machine, just updating to 3702 did the trick for me. It also appears 3702 supports the latest iOS sdk.

1 Like

I have had similar problems in the past that were fixed by deleting directories and re-creating them. That has not helped so far, and all of my previously working apps have the same problem.

I solved this problems by installing latest IOS Simulator (17.4)
Solar2d 2074.3704