Experiencing poor performance with lunar ads integrated

I just integrated lunar ads, and it seems like on occasion when an ad loads my game freezes. Testing in the simulator everything seems to be working as expected, but on device I’m never getting any ads. I see the webpopup with an activity indicator but nothing is displayed.

I have inneractive added to my channel and I’m testing on an iPod touch 4th gen. Building with 811 ad hoc.

Also I’m getting a lot of these warnings in the Xcode console. Not sure if this is related, but it seems like it.

May 16 10:27:36 unknown build[20206] : Warning: Libinfo call to mDNSResponder on main thread

Anyone else experiencing issues? [import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 326401[/import]

I just saw one ad out of maybe 20+ loads. [import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107063[/import]

Testing on the iPad I’m seeing more ads, but the app still freezes.
[import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107065[/import]

Hello Don,
Richard here with LunarAds.
Poor performance is likely associated with fast refresh times. You should try raising the refresh time or perhaps setting it to 0 for the channel on LunarAds.com.

The low ad fill rate is an on-going issue with Inneractive and us and we are currently working on it. We will be adding some new ad networks within the next week so you’ll at least have more options while you wait :slight_smile: Pontiflex is a great network you should check out.

Remember no ad networks will appear in the simulator, only on the device so when you are testing for networks display make sure you are doing so on the device.
We started a FAQ section last week as well https://lunarads.com/lunar/faq.asp in case you need some other ideas on troubleshooting.

That mDNSResponder error in terminal is something new we are looking into. It doesn’t seem to affect the ad display at all.

Richard

[import]uid: 9046 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107151[/import]

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been testing on an ipod Touch 4th gen, and an ipad3. My partner David and I are adding additional ad networks, and we’ve set the refresh to 0. We’ve seen ads by LeadBolt really degrade the performance of our app (which runs at 60fps). But for the most part things are working out well now.

Thanks for the tip about Pontiflex. We’re excited to get this working in Cannon Cat! As for the mDNSResponder issue, it’d be nice if that were resolved. Personally, I don’t like seeing any type of output coming out of my app unless it’s useful. We already have a million things to keep track of deving our app. We don’t need any more noise. :slight_smile:

Cheers [import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107162[/import]

same here…i will try the zero refresh rate.

Another issue i had is where the network connection is weak, it really slows down your game on startup/restart (if you have to start lunar)…low bars on cell phone is even worse. Don, you may want to try this since you are using wifi devices. i solved this by puting a tcp network check with timeout enabled
my last and final issue i have with lunar is that it appears that the ads are truncated (half the height) on iphone 4… works great with ipad1.
other than that, its a great resource, just need to work out a few things before going live. any advice on the iphone 4 issue would be very much appreciated

Niko [import]uid: 34595 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107889[/import]

Hi Niko,

I’ve been corresponding with Niko, and it looks like they’re having issues with dynamically scaling the ads for iphone/ipod vs ipad. I imagine they might have issues with Android form factors as well.

Richard said they were working on a solution, but there’s no ETA.

Thanks for the tip about the network check. My partner’s been testing on his phone, but we didn’t check to see what the experience would be like with an nearly non-existent connection. [import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107900[/import]

no problem, let me know what you find. also, congrats on cannon cat, my kids love it! [import]uid: 34595 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107905[/import]

Sure. I’m sure as soon as there’s a solution Richard will be here to report.

Glad your kids like Cannon Cat. :slight_smile: [import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 107907[/import]

@Don, just checking in to see how the LunarAds integration is going? I know we talked some things over Skype but wanted you to know we are still here to help.

Richard
[import]uid: 9046 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 109397[/import]

Hi Richard,

It looks like we’re only going to move forward with displaying banner ads on the iPad. The banner ad unit is too large to display on the iPhone/iPod for us.

Also, we were checking out the interstitials, and the ads coming from LeadBolt were taking several minutes to load. Without anyway for the user to close the interstitial ad or interact with the app, we’d have to programmatically shutdown the add after a set time period. If there was a close button that automatically appeared after a certain number of seconds we’d consider integrating the interstitial, but at this point, it’s hurting the user experience way too much.
[import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 109402[/import]

You should see the close button in the upper right hand corner of the screen on all interstitials.
I’ll make sure that is working right now -
[import]uid: 9046 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 109407[/import]

Just checked the close button and looks like it’s working fine. Can you see it in the upper right hand corner of the screen on Interstitials?

Richard
[import]uid: 9046 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 109408[/import]

When we tested yesterday, on David’s iPhone 4, we had the webpopup come up and it sat at the activity indicator for more than 5 minutes with just a gray screen with nothing to interact with. He was on 3G with 4 bars.

[import]uid: 27183 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 109411[/import]

Leadbolt might have been having network problems or technical issues? I just tested my iPhone 4s on 4G with 5 bars and Interstitials were about 1 second delayed…

Richard
[import]uid: 9046 topic_id: 26401 reply_id: 109412[/import]