Feature request: A way to disable ads for paid app (remotely)

I asked this question before. Ie: How to not show ads when the app was paid. The idea is to have a single app with revmob embedded and then time to time switch it from paid free and then paid again (get a burst of DL when going back to free) Of course the issue here is the people who get the app during the “paid” period" will get hit with ads (not cool!) Of course one way is to have a remote server and have the app check if it suppose to show ads or not. But I rather not deal with server myself (since I really have no clue about that right now)

Not sure if Revmob will be able to deal with this issue but it will be great to have a way to tell if the app was downloaded in period where the app was free or paid. Maybe have a flag that could be checked during the session start?

Not even sure it is even possible but it cost nothing to ask right?

Thanks.

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 335772[/import]

Hi,
Interesting idea.
Maybe it could be done using dates - somehow getting the download date and into a variable which is saved and then maybe including a sqlite database within your app which you would update (or plan ahead and pre fill) that has your timetable of free/paid.
Then you just need to call the database up compare variables in someway and flick a switch Yes/No.

Just a theory, haven’t tried.
T. [import]uid: 199068 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142320[/import]

@andasturgames, it’s easier than that, no dates needed, although it would work for sure.

Just save a variable as Version = “Free” or Version is “Paid” and check it on launch. If Version = “Void” request the string from the server.

Hope this helps,
Nail [import]uid: 106779 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142324[/import]

Thanks guys! That a lot of good suggestions. I will experiment. In the meantime, I am hoping that the good guys at RevMob could also think about implementing this (if at all possible:)

Thanks again.

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142325[/import]

How about this.

1. Have a json file on your server.
  2. Grab that file on first launch of the app (and each successive launch)
  3. Read it’s value (true or false) and show ads based on that.

[import]uid: 84637 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142367[/import]

The Revmob Dashboard used to have a button that would let you turn the ads on or off. I used to have ads turned off during the Apple review process than turn it on once it was approved. You should be able to do that whenever you wish. The Revmob Dashboard is different now and that button is no longer there, but I am sure this can still be achieved. Let me know if this helps you. [import]uid: 75779 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142368[/import]

This isn’t as easy as people think. Lots of variables to consider. The OP was wanting to drop the price from paid to free and then back to paid, etc. Not necessarily release new versions of the app. So, consider the following issue:

What if a user pays for the app but doesn’t open it for a week, thus moving from the paid to free timeframe? They paid for it, but if you query your server for dates or a json string, then it would assume it fell under the free timeframe thus showing ads when it wasn’t supposed to. This also is a problem going the other way, not showing ads when it needs to.

The best way to handle this would be if Apple had some sort of license check mechanism you could run at launch to see if it was a purchase. Google has this, but they also don’t allow moving an app from paid to free and back to pay, so you are forced to have separate apps unless you use IAP. Another solution is to try to check the system to see when the install date was, but I seriously doubt Apple (or Google) safely allow this, especially in the Corona environment.

I’m really close to saying that what you want to do is high near impossible, but there might be someone else out there who can figure a safe way around this. [import]uid: 92150 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142502[/import]

Thanks guys! I think Revmob still have the pause button if that you are referring too. Yes that may not be worth the trouble and the risk to piss off paid customer!

Still thank you for great suggestions. I may need to revisit this.

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142683[/import]

Hi,
Interesting idea.
Maybe it could be done using dates - somehow getting the download date and into a variable which is saved and then maybe including a sqlite database within your app which you would update (or plan ahead and pre fill) that has your timetable of free/paid.
Then you just need to call the database up compare variables in someway and flick a switch Yes/No.

Just a theory, haven’t tried.
T. [import]uid: 199068 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142320[/import]

@andasturgames, it’s easier than that, no dates needed, although it would work for sure.

Just save a variable as Version = “Free” or Version is “Paid” and check it on launch. If Version = “Void” request the string from the server.

Hope this helps,
Nail [import]uid: 106779 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142324[/import]

Thanks guys! That a lot of good suggestions. I will experiment. In the meantime, I am hoping that the good guys at RevMob could also think about implementing this (if at all possible:)

Thanks again.

Mo [import]uid: 100814 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142325[/import]

How about this.

1. Have a json file on your server.
  2. Grab that file on first launch of the app (and each successive launch)
  3. Read it’s value (true or false) and show ads based on that.

[import]uid: 84637 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142367[/import]

The Revmob Dashboard used to have a button that would let you turn the ads on or off. I used to have ads turned off during the Apple review process than turn it on once it was approved. You should be able to do that whenever you wish. The Revmob Dashboard is different now and that button is no longer there, but I am sure this can still be achieved. Let me know if this helps you. [import]uid: 75779 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142368[/import]

This isn’t as easy as people think. Lots of variables to consider. The OP was wanting to drop the price from paid to free and then back to paid, etc. Not necessarily release new versions of the app. So, consider the following issue:

What if a user pays for the app but doesn’t open it for a week, thus moving from the paid to free timeframe? They paid for it, but if you query your server for dates or a json string, then it would assume it fell under the free timeframe thus showing ads when it wasn’t supposed to. This also is a problem going the other way, not showing ads when it needs to.

The best way to handle this would be if Apple had some sort of license check mechanism you could run at launch to see if it was a purchase. Google has this, but they also don’t allow moving an app from paid to free and back to pay, so you are forced to have separate apps unless you use IAP. Another solution is to try to check the system to see when the install date was, but I seriously doubt Apple (or Google) safely allow this, especially in the Corona environment.

I’m really close to saying that what you want to do is high near impossible, but there might be someone else out there who can figure a safe way around this. [import]uid: 92150 topic_id: 35772 reply_id: 142502[/import]

Thanks guys! I think Revmob still have the pause button if that you are referring too. Yes that may not be worth the trouble and the risk to piss off paid customer!