Finishing touches on Level Director X

The new Level Director X looks very promising. Sadly, in it’s current state, it is not usable for me. I reported another issue in a separate forum post about the export feature. Here are a few other issues I have found.

1. The demo video shows a button that allows the user to quickly execute the level in the Corona simulator. In my local instance of the Level Director, this button does nothing other than tell me “No commands setup”. Seems that there is a missing a step but I don’t see any documentation about what that it. …which brings me to my next point…

2. Prior to version X, the web site had lots of documentation. For the sake of those still using the old version, it would be ideal to still have access to the old documentation, as long it is clearly marked as pertaining to the older Windows-only version. Just as importantly, I would really like to see a lot more documentation for the new X version.

3. The navigation for the new site could use some refining. This is very minor, but the navigation does not provide direct links to download or buy the software. Turns out that both functions are on the same page but that is not obvious from the navigation and the only way to get to that page is through the “Download” link on the “Feature Tour” page.

4. Fourthly, and this is also minor, I am trying out the free version so whenever I start the application it prompts me for a “key”. I presume this key pertains to the purchased version but it’s not obvious. I tried copying and pasting the “Receipt No” I got in the email for the free version but doing this and clicking “Apply” literally causes nothing to happen. No messages of any kind appear and the prompt just stays there. The only way to move forward is to click “Close”. That’s not awful but it’s not great either.

5. Finally, there are some super minor cosmetic issues that could use some cleaning up. I know that the old Level Director was around for a while and then there was a lull as version X was being developed and Corona Labs went through some changes. As such, the web site and readme.txt could use some updates. Specifically, I recommend changing all copyright dates to 2016. Also, I recommend changing all references to Ansca Mobile to Corona Labs. I have only seen this in the readme.txt of the downloaded application but it might be elsewhere.

@jerejigga

Thanks for your comments, as you appreciate LDX is brand new and will have some teething problems, but I feel it shouldn’t prevent you from using it.

To try and answer your questions

1.  If you follow the ‘Getting Started Guide’ in documentationit shows you how to configure a command that will allow you to run the Corona simulator.

2. The new documentation is work in progress and will improve in time but the old docs do not apply to LDX so I purposely removed them.  Old links will still work though.

3. The idea is that you would always start at the ‘Feature Tour’ page and if you’re interesting in downloading it then link is available from here but I take your points on board.

4. As with most other software that provide a free/trial version you are presented with a dialog to enter the ‘Full’ purchased license key otherwise ignore to continue with the free version.

5. Again the cosmetic changes will be addressed shortly but I was keen to get the software out to the public :)  

6. (from earlier post) Scroller demo, there appears to be a problem with the build which I’ll look into, but simply clicking on the project header and then selecting the export template as ‘Corona_TemplateX’ and exporting should resolve the errors.  I added the ‘X’ last minute to the template name but it didn’t seem to make the build.

Again your comments are much appreciated as that is the only way the software can approve.

@retrofitProductions

Thank you for the fast response! I totally understand the time and resource constraints! I am in a similar boat as are many of us Corona developers. Here are my responses to your points. :slight_smile:

1 and 2) Seems there was a bit of a user error on my part. I had already visited the documentation page you referred me to but I hadn’t realized those images and their labels were clickable! If I had realized that previously I don’t think I would have said anything about the commands and the documentation. Speaking of the commands, using the documentation I was able to get that configured. Thank you!

1. I totally understand the license prompt and even the ongoing “nagging” whenever I do an export. If people are using your application, they should pay you. The price is VERY reasonable. All I am meaning to suggest is that when the user leaves the key field blank or provides an invalid value and then clicks “Apply”, the user should be shown an error message. Since there is no message of any kind, it appears as though there is a bug. A simple message like “Please provide a valid licence key. To get a key, go here.” would go a long way and perhaps even help drive a couple more sales.

2. Using your instructions I was able to get the example projects working. Thank you!!

Your application shows incredible promise. I hope that many people realize that, use your application, and then pay you for your hard work!

@jerejigga

Thanks for your comments, as you appreciate LDX is brand new and will have some teething problems, but I feel it shouldn’t prevent you from using it.

To try and answer your questions

1.  If you follow the ‘Getting Started Guide’ in documentationit shows you how to configure a command that will allow you to run the Corona simulator.

2. The new documentation is work in progress and will improve in time but the old docs do not apply to LDX so I purposely removed them.  Old links will still work though.

3. The idea is that you would always start at the ‘Feature Tour’ page and if you’re interesting in downloading it then link is available from here but I take your points on board.

4. As with most other software that provide a free/trial version you are presented with a dialog to enter the ‘Full’ purchased license key otherwise ignore to continue with the free version.

5. Again the cosmetic changes will be addressed shortly but I was keen to get the software out to the public :)  

6. (from earlier post) Scroller demo, there appears to be a problem with the build which I’ll look into, but simply clicking on the project header and then selecting the export template as ‘Corona_TemplateX’ and exporting should resolve the errors.  I added the ‘X’ last minute to the template name but it didn’t seem to make the build.

Again your comments are much appreciated as that is the only way the software can approve.

@retrofitProductions

Thank you for the fast response! I totally understand the time and resource constraints! I am in a similar boat as are many of us Corona developers. Here are my responses to your points. :slight_smile:

1 and 2) Seems there was a bit of a user error on my part. I had already visited the documentation page you referred me to but I hadn’t realized those images and their labels were clickable! If I had realized that previously I don’t think I would have said anything about the commands and the documentation. Speaking of the commands, using the documentation I was able to get that configured. Thank you!

1. I totally understand the license prompt and even the ongoing “nagging” whenever I do an export. If people are using your application, they should pay you. The price is VERY reasonable. All I am meaning to suggest is that when the user leaves the key field blank or provides an invalid value and then clicks “Apply”, the user should be shown an error message. Since there is no message of any kind, it appears as though there is a bug. A simple message like “Please provide a valid licence key. To get a key, go here.” would go a long way and perhaps even help drive a couple more sales.

2. Using your instructions I was able to get the example projects working. Thank you!!

Your application shows incredible promise. I hope that many people realize that, use your application, and then pay you for your hard work!