Flash Is Dead! All Hail Composer!

Great product! 

* Drag and Drop Assembling of the GUI

* GUI/Code RoundTripping

* Instant Feedback in Simulator

* Integrated Physics Body Editor

* And More!

Ok, Ok I admit that it’s still a “work in progress” but I applaud Corona Labs for getting user feedback (that’s us) during this iteration of the product. I’ve played around with it by going through the tutorial and making changes. I’ve wanted something like this ever since I started my Corona development.

Now it’s time to put it to a real test - a four hour mini hackathon using the Corona Composer. Under pressure is where the imperfections reveal themselves.

Stay Tuned …

Ok. So I was able to spend a little more time with Composer. I’m sure many of the things I mention below have already been found and/or mentioned by others in their posts but here are some of my observations so far (MacBook Pro - 10.9.2 - Screen Resolution 1440x900):

First,

The Good - 

• I really love the direction you are going with this tool. I spent a lot of time working in Flash and was forced to abandon it due to client needs and Apple’s stubbornness. I would use this tool to very quickly prototype my Corona apps and then move into the code to complete. It can also be very beneficial to help beginners get started in building Corona app very, very quickly. 
  • Even in it’s present state I can use this tool to quickly position assets on the screen rather than play with testing x/y positions in code.

The Bad - 

• App window does not expand.
  • The “+ Group” button did nothing. I was hoping to be able to group display items.
  • I found it really difficult to select items that were small and/or behind other items. 
  • I couldn’t find any way to import assets (graphics, audio, etc) using the tool itself.
  • Tooltip to tell me what each of the icons are for.
  • The Properties; Name, w, h, Fill color, Stroke, etc should be in the Properties panel on the right instead of across the top. Consistency.
  • Where’s my EmbossedText?
  • What are those three square icons in the upper right of the tool?

The Ugly -

• Dark theme does not work for me.
  • I could figure out how to use the Timeline. So I grabbed the handle and tried to “scrub” it just to see what happens - nothing - and then the app locked up on me.
  • It was really hard working with an application in Portrait mode. The top and bottom of the canvas area in the app were cut off.
  • Once I launched myself into (what I assume to be) Full Screen mode, I wasn’t sure what to do. So I clicked on the “Stop” button and it took me back to the Editor. I guess this is to be an embedded simulator.

So that’s all I have for now. I’ll post more when I have time.

Thanks  :smiley:

Thanks Eddie! We’re compiling all this feedback into our list. 

Ok. So I was able to spend a little more time with Composer. I’m sure many of the things I mention below have already been found and/or mentioned by others in their posts but here are some of my observations so far (MacBook Pro - 10.9.2 - Screen Resolution 1440x900):

First,

The Good - 

• I really love the direction you are going with this tool. I spent a lot of time working in Flash and was forced to abandon it due to client needs and Apple’s stubbornness. I would use this tool to very quickly prototype my Corona apps and then move into the code to complete. It can also be very beneficial to help beginners get started in building Corona app very, very quickly. 
  • Even in it’s present state I can use this tool to quickly position assets on the screen rather than play with testing x/y positions in code.

The Bad - 

• App window does not expand.
  • The “+ Group” button did nothing. I was hoping to be able to group display items.
  • I found it really difficult to select items that were small and/or behind other items. 
  • I couldn’t find any way to import assets (graphics, audio, etc) using the tool itself.
  • Tooltip to tell me what each of the icons are for.
  • The Properties; Name, w, h, Fill color, Stroke, etc should be in the Properties panel on the right instead of across the top. Consistency.
  • Where’s my EmbossedText?
  • What are those three square icons in the upper right of the tool?

The Ugly -

• Dark theme does not work for me.
  • I could figure out how to use the Timeline. So I grabbed the handle and tried to “scrub” it just to see what happens - nothing - and then the app locked up on me.
  • It was really hard working with an application in Portrait mode. The top and bottom of the canvas area in the app were cut off.
  • Once I launched myself into (what I assume to be) Full Screen mode, I wasn’t sure what to do. So I clicked on the “Stop” button and it took me back to the Editor. I guess this is to be an embedded simulator.

So that’s all I have for now. I’ll post more when I have time.

Thanks  :smiley:

Thanks Eddie! We’re compiling all this feedback into our list.