For exactly which user action does Vungle pay the developers?

@Team and Community

I’ve setup a game with Vungle incentivized video ads. The user is rewarded with in-app coins for watching a video.

However I don’t actually understand which action I should promote to the user for me to get paid by Vungle.

1. Do I have to reward the user for just watching a video ad, by checking with:

[lua]if ( event.type == “adEnd” )

–reward with coins

end[/lua]

1. Or maybe reward the user only when clicking the ad after watching the video with:

[lua]if event.type == “adEnd” and event.wasCallToActionClicked then

–reward with coins

end[/lua]

1. Or reward the user with a coin sum depending on the action:

[lua]if event.type == “adEnd” and event.wasCallToActionClicked then

–reward with 10 coins

elseif event.type == “adEnd” and event.wasCallToActionClicked then

–reward with 20 coins

end[/lua]

… so that my metrics at Vungle get better and my payment gets higher?

Does anybody know on what user action does actually Vungle pay the developer?

Vungle ads are primarily paid out on a Cost Per Install (CPI) basis. This means you, as a developer, will be paid once a user clicks the call to action, then downloads the advertised app. Depending on the best experience within the app, you may want to use event.wasCallToActionClicked Although, payout only occurs if the user actually downloads the app after the clickthrough. If you have more questions feel free to ask!

@vincent.depalma

Thanks for the reply!

So, since Vungle pays per install how do developers can programmatically check whether a user has actually installed the promoted app? According to my understanding, event.wasCallToActionClicked just checks whether the user visited google play. This way the user can repeatedly get the reward by just visiting the apps at google play. Neither the developer nor Vungle earns something and the developer app is being exploited by meaningless rewards!

Is it ok (according to Vungle rules) for the developer to promote the installation instead of the ad view?

e.g. “Watch a video ad and install the promoted app to earn 10 coins!” ??

Vungle uses a third party to verify all CPI downloads, due to this there is a time delay between user download and verification by the third party. This helps to be sure advertisers only pay for valid downloads, from real users. For this reason, the SDK cannot instantly notify you of the download.

Regarding placements and rewards, you would need to cooperate with the License agreement, particularly, Exhibit A. (1)(E)(1)(iii):

iOS: https://github.com/Vungle/iOS-SDK/blob/master/LICENSE.md

Android: https://github.com/Vungle/Android-SDK/blob/master/LICENSE.md

iii. Restrictions. _Developer may not, and may not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) generate fraudulent impressions of or fraudulent clicks on any advertisements, including through repeated manual clicks, the use of robots or other automated tools or any other method that may lead to artificially high numbers of impressions, downloads, or clicks; (ii) edit, modify, filter, or change the order of the information contained in any Vungle Advertisement, or remove, obscure or minimize any Vungle Advertisement in any way; and (iii) redirect an end user away from any web page accessed by an end user after selecting or clicking on any part of a Vungle Advertisement (“_Advertiser Page”), provide a version of the Advertiser Page different from the page an end user would access by going directly to the Advertiser Page, or intersperse any content between the Vungle Advertisement and the Advertiser Page. Vungle may suspend Developer’s use of the Vungle Platform and/or terminate this Agreement immediately should Developer violate the foregoing provisions of this Section 5.

Vungle ads are primarily paid out on a Cost Per Install (CPI) basis. This means you, as a developer, will be paid once a user clicks the call to action, then downloads the advertised app. Depending on the best experience within the app, you may want to use event.wasCallToActionClicked Although, payout only occurs if the user actually downloads the app after the clickthrough. If you have more questions feel free to ask!

@vincent.depalma

Thanks for the reply!

So, since Vungle pays per install how do developers can programmatically check whether a user has actually installed the promoted app? According to my understanding, event.wasCallToActionClicked just checks whether the user visited google play. This way the user can repeatedly get the reward by just visiting the apps at google play. Neither the developer nor Vungle earns something and the developer app is being exploited by meaningless rewards!

Is it ok (according to Vungle rules) for the developer to promote the installation instead of the ad view?

e.g. “Watch a video ad and install the promoted app to earn 10 coins!” ??

Vungle uses a third party to verify all CPI downloads, due to this there is a time delay between user download and verification by the third party. This helps to be sure advertisers only pay for valid downloads, from real users. For this reason, the SDK cannot instantly notify you of the download.

Regarding placements and rewards, you would need to cooperate with the License agreement, particularly, Exhibit A. (1)(E)(1)(iii):

iOS: https://github.com/Vungle/iOS-SDK/blob/master/LICENSE.md

Android: https://github.com/Vungle/Android-SDK/blob/master/LICENSE.md

iii. Restrictions. _Developer may not, and may not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) generate fraudulent impressions of or fraudulent clicks on any advertisements, including through repeated manual clicks, the use of robots or other automated tools or any other method that may lead to artificially high numbers of impressions, downloads, or clicks; (ii) edit, modify, filter, or change the order of the information contained in any Vungle Advertisement, or remove, obscure or minimize any Vungle Advertisement in any way; and (iii) redirect an end user away from any web page accessed by an end user after selecting or clicking on any part of a Vungle Advertisement (“_Advertiser Page”), provide a version of the Advertiser Page different from the page an end user would access by going directly to the Advertiser Page, or intersperse any content between the Vungle Advertisement and the Advertiser Page. Vungle may suspend Developer’s use of the Vungle Platform and/or terminate this Agreement immediately should Developer violate the foregoing provisions of this Section 5.

So does this mean that Vungle will only pay you if the user clicks on the add to install the app advertised? And you do NOT if the user only watches the video?

Thanks,

Warren

So does this mean that Vungle will only pay you if the user clicks on the add to install the app advertised? And you do NOT if the user only watches the video?

Thanks,

Warren