Free video tutorial series for beginning students

Hi,

Here is a short series of videos I made that is suitable for students who are new to programming. It covers:

– x and y coordinates on the phone screen
– variables / constants
– events
– functions
– basic physics
– math.random
– transitions

As a high school teacher, I found using Corona SDK an absolute golden resource for teaching programming. The excitement from kids getting to create their own apps in class was amazing. Lua is a great starting point for learning to program.

The 4 part series goes for a bit less than an hour and starts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw-TWx3CH84 [import]uid: 37765 topic_id: 35984 reply_id: 335984[/import]

Mark, Thanks for sharing! [import]uid: 190754 topic_id: 35984 reply_id: 143442[/import]

Mark, Thanks for sharing! [import]uid: 190754 topic_id: 35984 reply_id: 143442[/import]

Mark, great tutorial!  Thank you for making these.  Have you done any more?

Thanks - I recently did one for a flappy-bird remake. It’s a seven part series. If you just youtube search corona sdk flappy bird it should come up.

Mark, great tutorial!  Thank you for making these.  Have you done any more?

Thanks - I recently did one for a flappy-bird remake. It’s a seven part series. If you just youtube search corona sdk flappy bird it should come up.

Hi Mark,

I am thinking about integrating Corona into my senior ITS work program, but I am a bit hesitant as it has a certain complexity. I worked though your video tutorials and also try to work though “Learning Mobile Application & Game Development with Corona”. However, I would see several student struggling with creating their own app. As long as they follow a tutorial they are fine, but when starting to write their own code, the amount of possible errors and specific knowledge you need to get something to run seems high. What resources do you recommend? How long is your course, what prior knowledge do your students have and how do you structure it?

Richard 

Hi Mark,

I am thinking about integrating Corona into my senior ITS work program, but I am a bit hesitant as it has a certain complexity. I worked though your video tutorials and also try to work though “Learning Mobile Application & Game Development with Corona”. However, I would see several student struggling with creating their own app. As long as they follow a tutorial they are fine, but when starting to write their own code, the amount of possible errors and specific knowledge you need to get something to run seems high. What resources do you recommend? How long is your course, what prior knowledge do your students have and how do you structure it?

Richard