From The Blog: I have a question where should I ask it?

It seems like we are seeing the same questions showing up in multiple places. We want you to get the best support possible and understanding the best places to ask your questions will help meet that goal.

Support requests can be generally broken into three distinct categories:

1. How do I use Corona?
  2. I’m having an account related issue.
  3. Letting people know about cool things you’re using Corona for.

There are several support channels available for you:

1. The Community Forums
  2. Emailing support@coronalabs.com
  3. The Community Slack
  4. Social Media like Facebook, Twitter, Stack Overflow, Reddit, etc.
  5. Private messages on all of the above channels

Which should I use?

If you have account related questions , or a plugin license issue or anything where we need something private (an email address, credit card or we need to reset your password) then emailing support@coronalabs.com is the proper choice. This helps keep your information safe.

If you have any questions about the product and in particular if code needs to be shared to help answer your question, you should always use the forums. While forums may seem SO 2000’s, they provide you with some very important features that not only benefit you, but also benefit the community:

1. You have access to developers from around the world to get your answers. You will usually get answers faster than waiting for the Corona Staff to be online.
  2. The forums are a great knowledge base because it’s searchable. You can search the forums (or use Google since it indexes the forum posts) for your question before you ask and get an answer right away. If your question can’t be found, then ask. Once answered, other developers when they have your question can find your answer. This concept is so important, that we specifically discourage 1 on 1 messages to support.
  3. Many questions relate to how to do things like make a character jump or spawn monsters in an RPG. These questions are best answered by people who are using the product, not building the product. We are great at answering questions about how a particular API works, but when it comes to game mechanics, our community developers are the best!

It should be noted that the first time you post to the forums, it will be held until our staff can review it to make sure it’s not spam. It make take several hours before the staff can review the new posts and approve them. Once your first post is approved, other posts will show up instantly.

If you have an awesome game or tool that the community will probably enjoy, let them know everywhere, except to support. Post it on Slack, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit’s /r/gamedev and /r/CoronaSDK. It won’t do much good to email it to support@coronalabs.com or on any private channels, since we will see it on the other channels.

Just a couple of other side notes. If you have a confirmed bug, hopefully after trying to solve the issue in the Forums, please use the “Report a bug” link at the top of the Forums page. If you see an issue with our documentation, there is a Report an Issue link at the bottom of the page. Please do not use these to ask for support or help. Use them only for confirmed problems.

View the full article