Full Photon Game Video Tutorial

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my video series in which I’m making a full multiplayer game in Corona SDK with Photon Cloud. If you’re interested, here’s the link to the playlist (the newest are Photon, before that is another game I built):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiojEujE0RPMWQxPfJ9LRSif_drhnG12G

Here’s the latest episode (they go up Friday around 6PM):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwvn208hgJw&list=PLiojEujE0RPMWQxPfJ9LRSif_drhnG12G&index=41

And here’s a link to the code (ALL THE CODE IS AVAILABLE FOR FREE!!! :stuck_out_tongue: ):

https://github.com/tylermakes/hitmonchan

If you check it out, please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Tyler

Hi Tyler thanks for sharing these videos and code, they look very good. Perfect timing as I have a turn based game in mind and I wasn’t sure how to make it work.

So far I’ve only played with Coronium, so you know by chance how does Photon compare to Coronium?

Regards
Hector

I haven’t tried Coronium yet. I think I might once I finish this series with Photon. As far as I can tell though, Coronium requires more work on your end to manage Amazon EC2 instances. It might also, however, give you more control over how your server works

With Photon, there’s no game logic living on a server, it just acts as a means to send communications between clients, so there’s a lot to be desired when it comes to security. I would be curious if Coronium is any different. I’ll let you know more when I get a chance to check it out (or let me know what you think once you’ve tried both!).

Thanks for watching!

Great, thanks a lot, I’lll give Photon a try. I see you have a lot more Corona videos in YouTube, I’ll check these out as well

Regards

Hector

Coronium (cloud and LS) is more of a storage solutions and lua host. It does user login, jobs( which is lua code that runs after a set time), file storage(videos, text, Json, images, etc), push(via third party), leaderboards, lua code hosting(so you can run lua code on a sever), and turnbased multiplayer.

Photo has many different flavors but I am assuming this is about the realtime photo. Which is used for realtime multiplayer. Photo does have a sever service separate from realtime, similar to Coronium but I have not used it.

Hi Tyler thanks for sharing these videos and code, they look very good. Perfect timing as I have a turn based game in mind and I wasn’t sure how to make it work.

So far I’ve only played with Coronium, so you know by chance how does Photon compare to Coronium?

Regards
Hector

I haven’t tried Coronium yet. I think I might once I finish this series with Photon. As far as I can tell though, Coronium requires more work on your end to manage Amazon EC2 instances. It might also, however, give you more control over how your server works

With Photon, there’s no game logic living on a server, it just acts as a means to send communications between clients, so there’s a lot to be desired when it comes to security. I would be curious if Coronium is any different. I’ll let you know more when I get a chance to check it out (or let me know what you think once you’ve tried both!).

Thanks for watching!

Great, thanks a lot, I’lll give Photon a try. I see you have a lot more Corona videos in YouTube, I’ll check these out as well

Regards

Hector

Coronium (cloud and LS) is more of a storage solutions and lua host. It does user login, jobs( which is lua code that runs after a set time), file storage(videos, text, Json, images, etc), push(via third party), leaderboards, lua code hosting(so you can run lua code on a sever), and turnbased multiplayer.

Photo has many different flavors but I am assuming this is about the realtime photo. Which is used for realtime multiplayer. Photo does have a sever service separate from realtime, similar to Coronium but I have not used it.

Does this tutorail teach real time too?

Does this tutorail teach real time too?