Glider Extreme Performance Degradation

I’ve been a big fan of Lua Glider for awhile now, liking it better than the Sublime Text + Corona Editor solution mainly because of the Function Navigator and because Debugging works properly.  I bought licenses for 3 other members of my development team as well. None of us have been able to get Sublime Text + Corona Editor to debug properly. It ignores breakpoints and opens empty documents, breaking on a blank line, continuing from there sometimes works, sometimes not.  Meanwhile, Lua Glider has worked great for us.

However, the last few days, Lua Glider has become unusable for me.  Note that I did nothing (that I’m aware of); the performance just started degrading. This is not happening while debugging. Just while doing regular editing.

I looked up a lot of stuff on the forums here and tried getting the latest version, which is very, very confusing, by the way. More confusing than necessary. For one thing, Check For Updates doesn’t work until you do several steps to make it work. Downloading the latest version from the MY Developers site will give you the older version (2.0.5). It’s just a little bit crazy, honestly. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I have the latest version now.

About Lua Glider shows Lua Glider 2.0 201403101706.

What’s New Window shows Glider v 2.1.32.

So here’s what keeps happening to me every 30 minutes or so:

Note that all other applications on my MacBook are running just fine.  Only Lua Glider is freezing up and using up all the cpu.  This is on a fairly new MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display.

So today I’ve also tried the following:

• Tools > Plugins > Deactivated a bunch of plugins I don’t need (AngularJS, Mercurial, etc.)

• Options > Editor > API Sources > Removed everything except the URL for CoronaLabs

• Options > Glider Options > Editor > Scanner Detail Level > Reduced it to “Scan Only Current File + requires”

• Reinstall completely from the MY Developers site, then update using Check for Updates

I’ve restarted Lua Glider multiple times, rebooted the MacBook, etc.  I don’t know what else I can do?

Thanks,

Dave

More info from the About screen:

Product Version: Lua Glider 2.0 201403101706

Java: 1.8.0; Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 25.0-b70

Runtime: Java™ SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0-b132

System: Mac OS X version 10.9.5 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (luaglider2)       

Hello Dave,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please upload logs via help->upload logs so we can take a look at it. Also, please try clearing the user directory via help-> user directory and delete the contents inside there. Please let us know if this works. 

Thank you for your kind words and we appreciate your support! 

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

That didn’t help…  What would be causing that spike?  I am using git, although I’m not connecting through Lua Glider.  I’ve had problems in the past when I would sync, it would become unusable for a little while, like it’s doing something in the background, but never anything like what I’m seeing now…  Are the files getting locked maybe and something is struggling to open them?

> That didn’t help…  What would be causing that spike?

@dave, If getting Glider under control doesn’t work, you may want to check ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE I’ve been developing: http://studio.zerobrane.com. The latest version (0.90) added Function outline, scope aware auto-complete for local and global variables, and several other improvements. It may not be as feature rich as Glider, but it provides debugging, remote console, stack and watch windows as well as auto-complete for Corona API, multi-cursor editing, go to definition, color schemes, and support for plugins that implement document map (minimap), clone view, Corona online reference, and many other small things (available on OSX/Windows/Linux). Paul.

Hi Paul,

I would kindly remind you that this is a support forum for Glider and promotion of your product is off topic.

Thank you,

M.Y. Developers

Dave,

I see some logs from iDom Smart Systems. Is this your computer? If not please upload the logs via help-> upload logs.

One additional thing to try is to disable the asset management if you are not using it. You can do this by glider options-> editor-> do not copy files.

Regards,

M.Y. developers

@M.Y.Developers, I take that into consideration; I do this sparingly and only to address a specific issue by a Corona user (these are Corona forums after all). Somehow you didn’t object to Dave’s references to Corona Editor and didn’t send him to Corona Editor section of the forums ;)… Paul.

@Paul. The fact that Dave mentioned corona editor is totally different from you promoting your own product on the Glider specific forum. Also note that he is not asking help for Corona editor or for zerobrane studio.

Thank you,

M.Y. Developers

Sorry I haven’t had a chance to do a lot of testing. I had to get something done right away so I just struggled with sublime text. I have erased the user folder as instructed, which kinda stunk because I had made a lot of changes to the syntax highlighting and shortcut keys. I used glider this morning and it seemed much better. I don’t use the asset management so I will turn that off as well. I tried zero brane and it looks full featured too, but I prefer Lua Glider. I wish either IDE looked like Adobe Brackets though… :slight_smile:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you were able to get it back up and running. Please let us know if you come across anymore issues.

We appreciate your support! 

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

@Dave,

Next time this happens  please send us your user directory so we can get to the root of the problem.  Please delete the Backups and project builds folders before sending as this contains some of your code.

Thank you very much

M.Y. Developers

More info from the About screen:

Product Version: Lua Glider 2.0 201403101706

Java: 1.8.0; Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 25.0-b70

Runtime: Java™ SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0-b132

System: Mac OS X version 10.9.5 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (luaglider2)       

Hello Dave,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please upload logs via help->upload logs so we can take a look at it. Also, please try clearing the user directory via help-> user directory and delete the contents inside there. Please let us know if this works. 

Thank you for your kind words and we appreciate your support! 

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

That didn’t help…  What would be causing that spike?  I am using git, although I’m not connecting through Lua Glider.  I’ve had problems in the past when I would sync, it would become unusable for a little while, like it’s doing something in the background, but never anything like what I’m seeing now…  Are the files getting locked maybe and something is struggling to open them?

> That didn’t help…  What would be causing that spike?

@dave, If getting Glider under control doesn’t work, you may want to check ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE I’ve been developing: http://studio.zerobrane.com. The latest version (0.90) added Function outline, scope aware auto-complete for local and global variables, and several other improvements. It may not be as feature rich as Glider, but it provides debugging, remote console, stack and watch windows as well as auto-complete for Corona API, multi-cursor editing, go to definition, color schemes, and support for plugins that implement document map (minimap), clone view, Corona online reference, and many other small things (available on OSX/Windows/Linux). Paul.

Hi Paul,

I would kindly remind you that this is a support forum for Glider and promotion of your product is off topic.

Thank you,

M.Y. Developers

Dave,

I see some logs from iDom Smart Systems. Is this your computer? If not please upload the logs via help-> upload logs.

One additional thing to try is to disable the asset management if you are not using it. You can do this by glider options-> editor-> do not copy files.

Regards,

M.Y. developers

@M.Y.Developers, I take that into consideration; I do this sparingly and only to address a specific issue by a Corona user (these are Corona forums after all). Somehow you didn’t object to Dave’s references to Corona Editor and didn’t send him to Corona Editor section of the forums ;)… Paul.

@Paul. The fact that Dave mentioned corona editor is totally different from you promoting your own product on the Glider specific forum. Also note that he is not asking help for Corona editor or for zerobrane studio.

Thank you,

M.Y. Developers