Google Play submit large app using aab file and app bundle

We have a large kids app over 180mb to submit to GooglePlay. AAB files are currently capped at 150mb and we can’t reduce it by removing content. Google Play provides a solution in the form of additional app bundles. Is this currently supported on Solar2D? If not, can we address this need? we are currently blocked from uploading anything to GooglePlay because of this limitation.

@XeduR expansion file is only relevant for APK output. BTW, the latest build fails to create the apk file and its expansion file for our app when we have usesExpansionFile = true. Couldn’t figure out why. When removing the flag, the APK file is created, but of course without the expansion file.
does it work well on your app building with expansion file?

In general, APK files are replaced by AAB files for over a year now and soon they will not be accepted at all.

APKs have already been phased out for the most part and you’ve been able to only submit new apps to Google Play as AABs since August 2021.

If I remember right, in order to use expansion files, you need to also use Google licensing. And sure, expansion files (OBB) were only for APKs, and AABs use PAD to deliver content exceeding that 150MB limit. However, again if I remember this right, Solar2D treats the expansion file property in the build.settings to create said asset delivery files for AABs, just like it did for APKs.

@XeduR , thanks for providing these details. I couldn’t find any documentation on building AAB with Asset files on Solar2D. When I build with usesExpansionFile = true I only get a single output file: .aab that exceeds 150mb. We have Google Licensing set in the build settings as it was previously required for the APK expansion files as well. This is perhaps a bug in the recent build.