[GPGS] Do I need to upload the app before testing?

Hi,

Do I need to actually upload a GPGS based app to Google Play (as in alpha testing) in order to test it?

I have an app I’m debugging on-device by manually installing the apk. I’m pretty sure I have correctly configured the debug key, linked app etc. but  I’m getting error 8 (internal error) on login. This error seems to be related to Google Play not recognizing an app that makes requests to it.

I’m 99% sure you need to upload an alpha build with a release keystore (that you will eventually release and update with). You will also need to copy the build with the release keystore to your device for testing.

Rob

Ok, great, thanks! So, to clarify, after doing that, will I able to test iterations of my code locally on-device without uploading to store ->waiting for approval each time?

You should. Also there is no waiting for approval with Google. Once you upload your app to alpha testing, it should be immediately available for testing. It may take some time to propagate through their search servers for other alpha testers to find it.

Rob

Ah, cool. Thank you.

I’m 99% sure you need to upload an alpha build with a release keystore (that you will eventually release and update with). You will also need to copy the build with the release keystore to your device for testing.

Rob

Ok, great, thanks! So, to clarify, after doing that, will I able to test iterations of my code locally on-device without uploading to store ->waiting for approval each time?

You should. Also there is no waiting for approval with Google. Once you upload your app to alpha testing, it should be immediately available for testing. It may take some time to propagate through their search servers for other alpha testers to find it.

Rob

Ah, cool. Thank you.