GPGS - iOS Crash

Bump

What is the status of this issue?

Without getting into too many specifics, the bug report didn’t get to where it needed to get to. It’s in the right place now. 

Rob

Hi Rob,

Great to hear that the issue is now in the right place. Not to get too narky about it, but are there are further updates on this one?

It’s been quite a while since the original issue was mentioned, with little to no updates are whether it’s an issue that is being actively looked into; or whether there is even a plan to look into it. As a result our game is in complete limbo as to when it can be released; or - more worryingly - _if_ it can be released.

Had hoped that the recent, official release of .3068 might resolve the issue, but no such luck :frowning:

While I appreciate that there’s been a lot going on (recent acquiring by Appodeal, to name but one), it’d be great to have some kind of idea as to what’s happening here. Even if it’s for no other reason than for us to have something we can plan around.

Thanks,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

I received the following 3 days ago (April 4th), I meant to post then but it slipped my mind.  It looks like they are on to it.

Hi, We are working on a fix for this and would update you as soon as this is fixed. Thank you for your patience. Thanks, Paranjay Menaria

Thanks,

Craig

Ah, fantastic :slight_smile:

Thanks Craig!

Hey,

Any update on this?  I checked the email I received from support and the helpdesk ticket url is no longer valid??

Cheers,

Craig

I’m trying to find a status for you.

I noticed that they’ve updated the GPGS plugin page with a note, stating this:

Formerly, this plugin was also compatible with iOS, but Google no longer supports integration with iOS. If you previously implemented this service on iOS, you should migrate that implementation to another service.

Obviously not the best news, but not something that Corona can do much about :frowning: I’m currently migrating iOS over to Game Centre, as it appears to be the best option for now.

Hi,

Can we get verification of this?  I received a message from Sergey on the 29th asking me to test the plugin - which worked!!  I assumed the issue had been resolved and was waiting for an announcement here.

Cheers,

Craig

Appears to be the case.

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/04/focusing-our-google-play-games-services.html

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2016/12/games-authentication-adopting-google.html

Time to do some gamecenter coding :slight_smile:

Craig

Hey everyone. This is pretty straight forward. Google is not going to include iOS in its next SDK release. They historically force you to new SDK’s, though not as aggressively as Apple does. Google has been very clear that very few people are using this and it’s not worth their engineering time to continue.

This leaves us with two situations:  1. People have already chosen to implement GPGS for iOS. 2. People may want to do this in the future. We strongly discourage any new apps from going this route. We have no idea when Google will force us to use a version of GPGS that won’t have iOS support. If you’ve already implemented GPGS for iOS it’s up to you to determine if you’re too far committed to it in your deployment to continue to use it or explore other alternatives.

For those who have already implemented it, we know there are a few bugs that need addressed. We will address those, which is why you’re seeming to get conflicting information. 

The long term answer is quite clear from Google. GPGS for iOS is no longer going to be developed. 

Rob

Hi,

Can you make an isolated sample project with the error? Which I can then study.

Hey Lerg,  

I am trying to recreate this issue, but having limited success.  So I am going through my code looking for other issues.  

One thing I tried was putting Niklas Frykholm’s Globals Locker (through SSK2, thanks Ed) in my code to try and catch globals to see if they could be an issue (in my logs there is a line “CMSession retain count > 1!” which I Googled and is something about memory management?).

The global lock spits a dummy when I require GPGS with the following code;

ssk.globals.lock( \_G ) local gpgs = require( "plugin.gpgs" )

In my trial where I am trying to recreate the issue I get (this is from the Corona Simulator Console);

ERROR: Runtime error [string "-- For more details on this file and what y..."]:135: GLOBALS are locked -- settings must be declared local or prefix with '\_\_' for globals. stack traceback: [C]: in function 'error' /Users/craigbriggs/Google Drive/Corona Projects/Car Game/TestApp/ssk2/external/global\_lock.lua:28: in function \</Users/craigbriggs/Google Drive/Corona Projects/Car Game/TestApp/ssk2/external/global\_lock.lua:25\> [string "-- For more details on this file and what y..."]:135: in main chunk ?: in function 'require' /Users/craigbriggs/Google Drive/Corona Projects/Car Game/TestApp/main.lua:77: in main chunk

In my actual game when I do the same thing it seems to run perfectly in the simulator and Android, but on the iPad I get the following in the console;  (not sure why the error message is different, but it ends with the same result);

ERROR: Runtime error GLOBALS are locked -- CoronaProvider must be declared local or prefix with '\_\_' for globals. stack traceback: [C]: ? [C]: in function 'error' /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/BEAAE846-22F9-4D5B-8F3D-0D0D515918C8/Documents/.CoronaLive/ssk2/external/global\_lock.lua:28: in function \</var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/BEAAE846-22F9-4D5B-8F3D-0D0D515918C8/Documents/.CoronaLive/ssk2/external/global\_lock.lua:25\> [C]: ? [C]: in function 'require' ?: in function 'require' /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/BEAAE846-22F9-4D5B-8F3D-0D0D515918C8/Documents/.CoronaLive/main.lua:190: in main chunk [C]: in function 'run' ?: in main chunk

Not sure if this is anything,  just thought I would bring it up.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Lerg,

Managed to reproduce the error in a sample project, not sure if it has anything to do with the globals above.  I have PM’ed you with my sample (since it has some of my personal GPGS details in it) and details of how to reproduce it.

Thanks,

Craig

PS.  I’ve reset the leaderboard and disabled the submitting in my app so you can test once if need

Thanks for the sample! That will make it much easier to examine.

Hi Lerg,

Just wondering if you can confirm if this was a bug, or do I keep searching for some bad programming somewhere in my project?  

Cheers,

Craig

Hey Lerg,

I am getting close to releasing my game and was wondering if there was any movement on this?

Cheers,

Craig

I think I posted a bug, but can’t find email confirmation??

The bug didn’t get into our system. Can you send an email to support@coronalabs.com, attach your sample project and put all the details in the body of the email?

Do you have the issue if you don’t use SSK’s global locker?

It didn’t sound like @jhow (in the other thread) was using GPGS for iOS, and with the keyboard being mentioned, I’m not sure how that relates to GPGS either.

Rob