Graphics issues with Window Builds

We are starting to get issues from some of our clients when running our corona app on a Windows machines.  The rendering of the app is really bad and unusable.

I assumed it was because the machines being used had older graphics cards, but on Tuesday I happened across the same issue on a computer we owned so I could do some more investigating.

The computer in question has a Intel hd graphics 630 card which is integrated and supplied in an HP box.  The Open GL that this card supports is 4.3.

The rendering is really bad with no clearing down of the pages during transition and it makes the app unusable.  No errors are shown and the issue is purely graphics related.

I stripped our app back to one page with just one command on it: -

display.setDefault( "background", 1, 1, 1)

Which should set the background to white.  Instead the background remains black.

I have tested this on the latest build and also the latest public build.

I will do some further testing when I can on older builds.

I amended a Corona simulator demo app with the above command and it was also ignored.

My worry is that this graphics card is popular with HP machines, it was released in 2017 and so should be OK.

Any help or advice or investigatory channels the team want me to pursue please let me know?

Still cant find a solution to this.  Massive issues with all of our apps running on this graphics set-up.

Have installed back to 2016.2987 and all the same behaviour.  Look at attached screenshot.

Questions and Tips:

1. Tip - It is usually best to put one issue/question in a post, or you risk only getting an answer to the one issue/question.

2. re: Bad Rendering - Can you share a screenshot.  You didn’t actually attach one in the last post.

3. re: Bad Rendering - Can you share your config.lua and build.settings files with us as an attachment in a zip file?

4. General What is the most recent version of Corona are you using?

5. re: display.setDefault() - I am using 2018.3282 and this works fine for me in the simulator on a Windows 10 machine. It also works fine when I build a Windows app and run it.

6. re: display.setDefault() - Are you sure you’re not calling this again later with 0,0,0 as the color?

To attach files:

1. Click ‘more reply options’ below:

attaching_files.jpg

Try this demo project to build and test yourself:

https://github.com/roaminggamer/RG_FreeStuff/raw/master/AskEd/2018/05/setDefault.zip

Here is an actual build of the project you can also try running:

https://github.com/roaminggamer/RG_FreeStuff/raw/master/AskEd/2018/05/setDefaultApp.zip

Ok, sorted it!

Lesson learnt. Even though the driver date was 2017 and Windows Update said the driver was up to date, I went on the HP site and downloaded the diagnostic tool. The software available for the machine included a graphics driver update for 2018.

Installed this update, rebooted and everything is back rendering great.

So, if you have Intel HD 630 Graphics card and are running into problems find that updated driver.

Still cant find a solution to this.  Massive issues with all of our apps running on this graphics set-up.

Have installed back to 2016.2987 and all the same behaviour.  Look at attached screenshot.

Questions and Tips:

1. Tip - It is usually best to put one issue/question in a post, or you risk only getting an answer to the one issue/question.

2. re: Bad Rendering - Can you share a screenshot.  You didn’t actually attach one in the last post.

3. re: Bad Rendering - Can you share your config.lua and build.settings files with us as an attachment in a zip file?

4. General What is the most recent version of Corona are you using?

5. re: display.setDefault() - I am using 2018.3282 and this works fine for me in the simulator on a Windows 10 machine. It also works fine when I build a Windows app and run it.

6. re: display.setDefault() - Are you sure you’re not calling this again later with 0,0,0 as the color?

To attach files:

1. Click ‘more reply options’ below:

attaching_files.jpg

Try this demo project to build and test yourself:

https://github.com/roaminggamer/RG_FreeStuff/raw/master/AskEd/2018/05/setDefault.zip

Here is an actual build of the project you can also try running:

https://github.com/roaminggamer/RG_FreeStuff/raw/master/AskEd/2018/05/setDefaultApp.zip

Ok, sorted it!

Lesson learnt. Even though the driver date was 2017 and Windows Update said the driver was up to date, I went on the HP site and downloaded the diagnostic tool. The software available for the machine included a graphics driver update for 2018.

Installed this update, rebooted and everything is back rendering great.

So, if you have Intel HD 630 Graphics card and are running into problems find that updated driver.