Great Potential, just not yet

My overall impression of the composer tool: 

1. The tool seems to have a lot of potential, when it starts working 100%. Game salad has done similar things however here you get some code to edit too to its the whole package which allows for maximum customization. 

2. Im sure many people will be interested in the Composer tool, but this is where i think that unless it becomes 100% flawless, and such a drag-drop has never been made, the Composer tool will become something that draws new people to use corona because of their lack of programming ability. 

Once they gain some programming experience im sure they’ll leave composer alone for good, but this is just my humble opinion. 

Personally i think that tools like these are not very appealing because they usually cause more frustration than anything else, that being said if you guys can pull it off it’d be great! 

Some things that worked in the video tutorial but didnt work for me:

1. I couldnt get the screen to either zoom in or out and that wws annoying.

2. The object attributes in the top of the screen overlapped completely so i couldn’t see what was what.

3. It was tricky to add things to the library so you could actually drag and drop them. 

One thing that did work. 
The physics worked really well though. I think this could work as a level creator of some sorts :slight_smile:

Overall rating 1/5.
Potential 4/5

I think the initiative is great, but its gonna take a lot of time and energy to make it useful. Personally id prefer these recourses be spent on making the engine and the native/widget side of things way better.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. We think there’s a lot of potential here, and we’re working to make it better. 

One of the things we’re working to make clearer is the interaction between the Composer GUI and the Simulator preview. That workflow mirrors how you edit Lua files and have the Simulator window instantly refresh. There are still quirks to be worked out, but that’s something we think can be appealing.

We’re also plugging this in with the new composer API, so that you can add code logic to the generated Lua files.

In terms of your issues, #2 should be fixed in the latest daily build. #1 is on our list. For #3, you just copy assets alongside main.lua in your project folder.

I think the initiative is great, but its gonna take a lot of time and energy to make it useful. Personally id prefer these recourses be spent on making the engine and the native/widget side of things way better.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. We think there’s a lot of potential here, and we’re working to make it better. 

One of the things we’re working to make clearer is the interaction between the Composer GUI and the Simulator preview. That workflow mirrors how you edit Lua files and have the Simulator window instantly refresh. There are still quirks to be worked out, but that’s something we think can be appealing.

We’re also plugging this in with the new composer API, so that you can add code logic to the generated Lua files.

In terms of your issues, #2 should be fixed in the latest daily build. #1 is on our list. For #3, you just copy assets alongside main.lua in your project folder.