[GUIDE] Tips to get up and running + Pitfalls to avoid

Hello Corona Devs!.

We started using Corona Viewer to rapidly finish testing our latest game Puzzle Jumper

We had some challenges to get up and running though, as this was a vast project with a lot of deep nesting of folders. So here are some things to avoid and watch out for.

1) No upper case characters in folder names. This is apparently an issue with dropbox. It will fail to find code files and assets in your project if you use upper case characters in the name. We used upper case characters and had to make a lot of changes.

We recommend changing this format:

Broken > myFolder

Working > my_folder

This rule is absolute, it applies to folders in your resource directory and folders you create in the temp/docs directory (remember that!)

2) Use iPhone configuration utility to get error and print statements. The iPhone configuration utility works on Windows as well as mac, so with Corona Viewer you can now finally test iOS apps from Windows :slight_smile:

You can get the Windows version here: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1466

For Mac users, the program comes pre-installed on your mac. (Use Xcode to find it)

**3) **If something doesn’t appear to be syncing, hit with 4 fingers and tap the “reset project” option. This seems to be needed in cases of changing a folder name for instance. The screen may or may not say syncing, but it generally does, watch the console (point 7).

**4) **Remember to update Corona Viewers config.lua and build.settings files to include the settings you need for your app/game prior to building Corona Viewer for your device.

**5) **You will see sync statements in your console from Corona Viewer, when you see them, be patient. Sometimes it can take a while to finish syncing. Interrupting the process can result in you having to do a project reset.

**6) **Turn off the screen sleep setting on your iOS device, especially during the initial sync (for larger projects especially). Change the setting to “never” from your iOS settings app.

I noticed that during initial sync, if the device’s screen turned off (/slept) then the sync would not resume after unlocking the screen. This could be an issue just for me, or a viewer issue. Ymmv. 

**7) **Just because the “Syncing Project” text doesn’t appear, it doesn’t mean that it isn’t. Half of the time the “Syncing Project” text just didn’t appear for me, so keep an eye on the console, if it doesn’t say syncing there, then it probably isn’t.

I will be adding additional tips to this post if I remember any more. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Very useful tips. Thank you very much! 

Very useful tips. Thank you very much! 

Thanks for tips. I was having trouble with the #6 (the iPhone went to sleep during initial sync and then never finished the sync process).

Yeah, i recommended disabling sleep during the initial sync. Ill add that the first post.

you can now finally test iOS apps from Windows

OMG!

OMG!

#gamechanger

! :smiley: !

Late to the Corona Viewer party … better late than never!

Thanks for tips. I was having trouble with the #6 (the iPhone went to sleep during initial sync and then never finished the sync process).

Yeah, i recommended disabling sleep during the initial sync. Ill add that the first post.

you can now finally test iOS apps from Windows

OMG!

OMG!

#gamechanger

! :smiley: !

Late to the Corona Viewer party … better late than never!