Hello everyone, delighted to have joined this community

I am a programmer in AMS and I want to start programming Android with Corona. What I want to do first is an apk that interacts with the text of the incoming sms, that can extract mobile numbers in them and look for them in the list of contacts, that is the main idea, greetings to all.

Hello, frankkev!

Sounds to me like you’d need to use Corona Native (or some plugin) in order to read texts, however, I am not sure how (or if it is even possible) to read incoming texts using Corona. As for getting the contacts from a device, I remember having seen a plugin available on the marketplace that can fetch them for both iOS and Android.

Hello and thanks for your reply, then you think it is not possible to access the incoming sms from corona? I ask you why it is what I need the most

Hi Frank,

I see two main problems when using Corona for this:

• Corona apps don’t run in the background. Period. That means scanning messages can only happen when the app is the active open app.

• Corona in its basic form does not have access to the content of texts, I believe (99% sure of this, not 100%). There might be plugins that do this, or you could go native, but that’s a lot more complex than just using the basic SDK.

Hello and thanks for your answer, and to program Android with native Corona what should I do? If you can guide me, I would appreciate it very much

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately I have zero experience with Corona Native so I can’t guide you. However, I do believe it will require you to be very fluent in programming in C or C++ and juggling different frameworks, dev kits and xCode. If this sound daunting to you (as it does to me) I would assume that Corona Native is not the way to go for you.

Also, check the documentation:

https://docs.coronalabs.com/native/android/index.html

Yeah, it’s as @thomas6 already said. From what I’ve understood, Corona isn’t designed to be running in the background and in order for it to be able to read incoming texts, it would have to somehow be running 24/7 (and in the background). To my knowledge, this’d be impossible.

Thank you for your answers, they have saved me a great waste of time because in reality all I’m interested in is interacting with the texts of the incoming sms, now what I’m thinking is that the best way would be to learn pure Android although it costs me a lot more work, I decided to use Corona because I have knowledge of lua but it is not enough. Again, thank you very much to everyone who took the time to help me.

Hello, frankkev!

Sounds to me like you’d need to use Corona Native (or some plugin) in order to read texts, however, I am not sure how (or if it is even possible) to read incoming texts using Corona. As for getting the contacts from a device, I remember having seen a plugin available on the marketplace that can fetch them for both iOS and Android.

Hello and thanks for your reply, then you think it is not possible to access the incoming sms from corona? I ask you why it is what I need the most

Hi Frank,

I see two main problems when using Corona for this:

• Corona apps don’t run in the background. Period. That means scanning messages can only happen when the app is the active open app.

• Corona in its basic form does not have access to the content of texts, I believe (99% sure of this, not 100%). There might be plugins that do this, or you could go native, but that’s a lot more complex than just using the basic SDK.

Hello and thanks for your answer, and to program Android with native Corona what should I do? If you can guide me, I would appreciate it very much

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately I have zero experience with Corona Native so I can’t guide you. However, I do believe it will require you to be very fluent in programming in C or C++ and juggling different frameworks, dev kits and xCode. If this sound daunting to you (as it does to me) I would assume that Corona Native is not the way to go for you.

Also, check the documentation:

https://docs.coronalabs.com/native/android/index.html

Yeah, it’s as @thomas6 already said. From what I’ve understood, Corona isn’t designed to be running in the background and in order for it to be able to read incoming texts, it would have to somehow be running 24/7 (and in the background). To my knowledge, this’d be impossible.

Thank you for your answers, they have saved me a great waste of time because in reality all I’m interested in is interacting with the texts of the incoming sms, now what I’m thinking is that the best way would be to learn pure Android although it costs me a lot more work, I decided to use Corona because I have knowledge of lua but it is not enough. Again, thank you very much to everyone who took the time to help me.