Hello, I'm Tommi and I want give Corona a shot

Hello Corona Community!

I’m Tommi and I’ve been doing game development at nights on and off as a hobby for several years. At daytime I work as a software developer doing various stuff from good old API development to data engineering.

I have been working on a Zelda-like action/adventure game for a while using Godot Engine. I became interested in Corona because I have some experience with Lua and the LÖVE game framework from the past. I’m not strictly interested in mobile game development. In fact I’ve been working on my current prototype with only desktop in mind for now. But thanks to the addition of macos and win32 deploy support a couple of years ago (?) and with the html5 build support looking promising, I think that Corona and I could be a pretty good match. I especially appreciate the fact that if I want to start developing explicitly for mobile, it would be very straight forward. Besides, I really like Lua as a scripting language.

So far I have liked what I’ve seen. The documentation is good and it was really straight forward to just jump in. Besides, everything just works out of the box. No need to install external dependencies. There is no need for a visual “Corona Editor” or huge IDE, because everything can be easily expressed in code with my favorite editor (event though I’m not currently using my favorite editor because of the reasons below).

I’m currently using ZeroBrane Studio because it has good autocompletion support and good integration with the Corona simulator. I first tried the unofficial VS Code plugin, but unfortunately I was quite disappointed with it not having autocompletion support. Maybe I missed something, but if someone has a really good setup for vscode, I would very much like to have a look at it. :slight_smile:

Anyway, when I have a little extra time, I’m going to port my current prototype to corona and see what everything looks like. I have a pretty good feeling about this, even though I had some reservations regarding Corona’s focus solely on mobile devices in the past (which I understand perfectly fine). It’s just that desktop and HTML5 are both personally important to me as well, because I do most my own gaming on a desktop.

-Tommi