Help with signing for Debug Build

Hello guys, my names are Lionel K and I AM new to solar2d game engine. However, I AM trying to build a sample apk app, but each time I click on build, i get a warning message that says " The password for the alias was not valid, or the java JDK was not found."

I was reading the signing for Debug Build tutorials and it says corona includes a debug.keystore for testing your app on devices. To use it, follow these steps:

1. Select Debug from the keystore menu

Please this is the part that gets me confused, where can i locate the app or file to select Debug from the keystore menu?

Thanks alot in advance.

Welcome Lionel!

After you select Build from File menu and open up Android Build Setup menu, you’ll see Browse button right next to Keystore. After clicking that, you’ll find debug.keystore under Corona Labs/Corona/Resources folder.

1 Like

@bgmadclown, thanks for the quick response, but it still doesn’t explain how to setup the password for the alias androiddebugkey.

Because each time i try to build the android app, i get a message saying “The password for the alias was not valid, or the java JDK was not found.”

My question is how do i password the debug.keystore file or include a password in it?

Thanks alot

The debug.keystore that is associated with Solar2D doesn’t have a password. The keystore is located within Solar2D’s installation folder, inside the Resources folder, like @bgmadclown already mentioned.

@XeduR, yes i know that the debug.keystore file is located inside solar2d installation folder. But each time I click on Build it will request for a password.

Please see the guide below that is causing my confusion, because step one says “select debug from the keystore menu”. So just from where exactly will I select debug before navigating to the keystore file location.

Signing for Debug Build
For debug builds, Corona includes a debug.keystore for testing your app on devices. To use it, follow these steps:

1. Select Debug from the Keystore menu.

2. Directly to the right, Browse… to the keystore file in the Corona SDK application folder:

Windows — C:\Program Files (x86)\Corona Labs\Corona\Resources\debug.keystore

macOS — /Applications/Corona/Resources/Resource Library/Android/debug.keystore

3.Select the file and enter android as the password.

1. In the Key Alias menu, select androiddebugkey.

Also i have attached a screenshot of the issue.

Have you tried entering android as the password, as described in the docs?

As bgmadclown has mentioned the password for debug.keystore is android.

The Boss, yes i have tried “android” as the password and it didn’t work. That’s one of the reasons why i am so confused.

The Boss, is there any other way around this?. I could really use a good suggestion at this point.

Well, this is quite interesting given that I’ve used Solar2D since 2012 and I don’t remember ever inputting a password for the debug keystore.

At this point, I’d consider uninstalling and reinstalling the current version of Solar2D.

If none of what has been suggested has helped you out, you could follow the guide here and create your own keystore. You can create a keystore for release builds:

Since Solar2D 2020.3629, the engine comes with embedded Java, so there shouldn’t be any issues with Java.

1 Like

Thanks alot Boss, lemme download the specified version above and try again, cause frankly speaking i really do wanna code apps and games with solar2d.

Out of curiosity, since we haven’t heard back from you yet, did it work? Did it start working once you downloaded a new version of Solar2D, did you create your own keystore or did you give up?

I have same problem.
Here are steps I already taken:

• I’m using latest release
  • I choose password as android
  • I reinstalled 2 times

Hey!
You may have x32 Windows. Unfortunately modern Android tooling does not work quite right on x32 windows anymore :frowning: There are ways around it, but it is a little tricky.
First stem would be to delete embedded java (it is in c:\Program FilesCorona Labs\Corona\jre directory) and install Java 1.8.
Next step would be to manually install Android SDK. But first just try to build like that. Let me know if you’ll get further.

1 Like