Hoping the best for the Open Source way

I read some time ago some comments that seems to be “killing” the community or taking away hope on the engine’s future, maybe they even don’t realize it. Anyway, I wanted to share my overall thoughts about this engine’s future:

When I started learning to code I was 13. I did go straight to web stuff (HTML 5/CSS and so) it was easier to get a grasp on designing web pages with bare tags.

I literally was learning too many things without actually using it in a project. I was not making real world projects, just “learning” random stuff I’d like. I loved (and still do) making front-end design as the hobbyist I am but I also wanted to make games, that was my real passion. Learned later that web is not (yet) powerful/suitable enough to manage even decent projects.

I remember I did try Game Maker and it was so easy to get started.

You just drag some boxes and write some “code” and you got your platform game in minutes. But I somehow feel like something was missing. I then learned that it has a not-so-good language to work with, though it’s as easy as lua. Then realized that yes, it’s a multi platform one but not free , exporting options cost TOO MUCH! , it´s not Open Source and so. I knew that I needed something let’s say, cheaper. Simpler.

I maybe tried literally every 2D game engine in the internet. Godot, Love2D even BuildBox, you name it. None of those compare to the simplicity that the-god-of-easiness Corona Labs engine had. Please, don’t get me wrong. Godot seems (in his awkward way) simple too, but the team behind this tool re-imagined how indie programmers could save a huge amount of time. There is (almost) not learning curve, this was the thing that made me said in my mind: “Oh man, I’m in!”. I actually learned to write programs with it. I did not used basic programming syntax before. So you get the idea.

Text displayed in screen? No problem, your basic Hello World program it’s an one-liner matured method away. Exporting hassle? Nope, instant exporting and preview in your phone in REAL TIME. No visual editor built-in it’s a problem but somehow complements the minimalist style the engine approach to do things.

Now that it’s becoming Open Source, I see that it’s actually becoming just how I would expect a mature 2D game engine to be. I encouraged developers to spread the word, to contribute or simply use it to make the next awesome pixel art blockbuster.

New features are a pull request away now.

-Nohak

Godot Engine is a great game engine, but it is not stable on mobile platforms, and too complex for some 2d game developers.  I like CoronaSDK very much, If there’s  a “Godot + Corona” 2d game engine, I think it will be popular.

We are tring to custom godot as a level editor for our corona project now.

1EGxjPfFvZC4Izc.png

OtM5bvuSIwFszcZ.png

Cool idea – I started poking around with Unity a while back with the same kind of idea – use it for the layout and then just have it generate Lua code.

“Godot + Corona” – yeah, that’s what Defold could have been, but they had too many programmers working on it and not enough game developers. When the solution to “which object was tapped” is “loop through all the objects in the scene and see which one overlaps the X/Y coords of the tap…” then you failed in creating something for game developers rather than programmers.

Basically, Corona spoiled me for everything else.

Jay

Godot Engine is a great game engine, but it is not stable on mobile platforms, and too complex for some 2d game developers.  I like CoronaSDK very much, If there’s  a “Godot + Corona” 2d game engine, I think it will be popular.

We are tring to custom godot as a level editor for our corona project now.

1EGxjPfFvZC4Izc.png

OtM5bvuSIwFszcZ.png

Cool idea – I started poking around with Unity a while back with the same kind of idea – use it for the layout and then just have it generate Lua code.

“Godot + Corona” – yeah, that’s what Defold could have been, but they had too many programmers working on it and not enough game developers. When the solution to “which object was tapped” is “loop through all the objects in the scene and see which one overlaps the X/Y coords of the tap…” then you failed in creating something for game developers rather than programmers.

Basically, Corona spoiled me for everything else.

Jay