Hot Reload lua

The hot reload feature, when the user changes his Lua application is really magic  :slight_smile:

(Actually I do not have yet locate where this feature is implemented).

But unfortunately I do not use anymore the build processing done by the Corona Simulator (too many problems with my native plugin, and doing something obscure on a Coronalabs server is un-acceptable for an open source software). Is there any possibility to have this hot-reload feature when using XCode and the iOS simulator ?

[note] : more I look to the sources provided by Coronalabs, more I think that the client side sources to the Corona Server are not provided. But I hope I am wrong. The Hot-reload feature of Corona is probably the killing feature which is the reason I work on Corona. Very similar to the Flutter Hot-reload feature.

Coronalabs : where is the client side of Corona Server ?

I read this a while back and couldn’t decide if you meant:

1. The feature (included in the simulator) whereby  you can set the simulator to automatically restart the game/app when you change a file in the game/app folder.  This is handy when tweaking code because it saves the need to manually click the simulator and the do a reload.
  2. Live Builds - This feature is similar, but allows you to change your game/app code and have that automatically reflected on a device running the game/app.

Both are debug features only.

#1 Is built-in to the simulator and there is no publicly available code that I’m aware of you can get to ‘DIY’ sometime similar.

#2 I’m not sure how they did this, but again I’m not aware of any client-side code you can ‘get somewhere’.  I think this is bundled and closely tied to the simulator.

More on live builds here if you don’t know about think docs page (your probaly do, but just in case): https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/distribution/liveBuild/index.html

Hi Roaminggamer. thank your for your answer. I was talking about “Live Builds”, I guess.

I was certain that the App was built by the Corona Server with some “client-side” routines linked with the user App, so that the Corona Simulator and the App could synchronise together and the Corona Simulator could send to the App a new Lua script to execute when changed.

I will look more to the Simulator Code. but the Simulator is really a big/master peace of code  :wink:

Any way, thank you for your so fast answer  :slight_smile:

I read this a while back and couldn’t decide if you meant:

1. The feature (included in the simulator) whereby  you can set the simulator to automatically restart the game/app when you change a file in the game/app folder.  This is handy when tweaking code because it saves the need to manually click the simulator and the do a reload.
  2. Live Builds - This feature is similar, but allows you to change your game/app code and have that automatically reflected on a device running the game/app.

Both are debug features only.

#1 Is built-in to the simulator and there is no publicly available code that I’m aware of you can get to ‘DIY’ sometime similar.

#2 I’m not sure how they did this, but again I’m not aware of any client-side code you can ‘get somewhere’.  I think this is bundled and closely tied to the simulator.

More on live builds here if you don’t know about think docs page (your probaly do, but just in case): https://docs.coronalabs.com/guide/distribution/liveBuild/index.html

Hi Roaminggamer. thank your for your answer. I was talking about “Live Builds”, I guess.

I was certain that the App was built by the Corona Server with some “client-side” routines linked with the user App, so that the Corona Simulator and the App could synchronise together and the Corona Simulator could send to the App a new Lua script to execute when changed.

I will look more to the Simulator Code. but the Simulator is really a big/master peace of code  :wink:

Any way, thank you for your so fast answer  :slight_smile: