How do I speed up Glider on my MBP?

Hi, 

I’m running Glider on a 2Ghz i7 mid-2011 Macbook Pro with 16Gb of RAM and it’s very, very, very slow. My current project has a couple of files that hover around the 2000 line mark and scrolling through them in the IDE is a jerky mess, even worse is trying to debug code in it which is so slow is almost laughable.

Do you have any suggestions for how I can speed up performance? In Sublime it’s lightening fast, but I want to use the power of Glider and it’s excellent debugging facilities…

Cheers

Chris

Well, it is basically Netbeans, so it is not particularly fast Java. I have a much newer Mac and it isn’t that quick. I think, from netbeans time, there are some things you can do to speed it up - allocate more memory, if you google you will probably find some tips, but it won’t be that much I’m afraid.

You could always code in Sublime and debug in Glider :slight_smile: Have you tried Zerobrane ?

Hey Paul, I’ve got all three :slight_smile: Agree with coding in Sublime & using Glider for Debug but it’s horrifically slow, to the point where I could punch the screen, hence the post. Good idea about Googlign for NetBeans - I’ll give it a try.

Cheers

Chris

I have an Early 2011, 2.2 GHz, 8 GB mem and its OK. I did replace the HDD with SSD and life was much better after that. It really brings new life to the machine.

My largest files are around 1200 lines.

Right now my settings look like this: http://i.imgur.com/3mgE3V7.png

I don’t really remember what I changed or why but I think the scanning setting is the most important. 

Hello all,

I believe Netbeans 8.0 will fix most of these problems. We will upgrade this week.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Fantastic! Any idea on when it’ll be ready to release? :slight_smile:

Hello Crussel,

Expect it to be out by the end of the weekend.

Thanks!

M.Y. Developers

Many thanks chaps!

@Crussel,

Please try this new release and let us know if there is any difference

www.mydevelopersgames.com/staging/LuaGliderInstaller.dmg

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Massive difference - it runs like silk now - great effort, thanks guys!

Where the editor stuttered and glitches (and even hung) for a couple of seconds when scrolling through a long source file, it’s now really slick.

Many thanks!

Crussell 

Wow! Great news! Will this update get pushed through auto-updates or do we all need to go and install this new version manually? If that is the case do we need to uninstall the current version installed? Thanks for the clarification and most importantly continuing to improve this product. All the best.

is there a windows version too? :slight_smile:

Hey there everyone. Windows version will be available this weekend at the latest. 

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Will this update get pushed through auto-updates or do we all need to go and install this new version manually? If that is the case do we need to uninstall the current version installed?

Well, it is basically Netbeans, so it is not particularly fast Java. I have a much newer Mac and it isn’t that quick. I think, from netbeans time, there are some things you can do to speed it up - allocate more memory, if you google you will probably find some tips, but it won’t be that much I’m afraid.

You could always code in Sublime and debug in Glider :slight_smile: Have you tried Zerobrane ?

Hey Paul, I’ve got all three :slight_smile: Agree with coding in Sublime & using Glider for Debug but it’s horrifically slow, to the point where I could punch the screen, hence the post. Good idea about Googlign for NetBeans - I’ll give it a try.

Cheers

Chris

I have an Early 2011, 2.2 GHz, 8 GB mem and its OK. I did replace the HDD with SSD and life was much better after that. It really brings new life to the machine.

My largest files are around 1200 lines.

Right now my settings look like this: http://i.imgur.com/3mgE3V7.png

I don’t really remember what I changed or why but I think the scanning setting is the most important. 

M.Y. Developers how can we get a simple answer to the simple question asked (twice) above? Registered mail? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

@ksan,

We apologize for the delay in getting back to you. You will only need to re-download the installer but you do not need to uninstall the existing version. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Thanks. Is there a release notes or something like that? I want to avoid the nasty surprises that came with the last update if possible. Anything we should be aware of?