How stream spotify mp3 preview url within own app (Win32)

Hi,

The title says it all. I got the spotify API, authorization and other network requests going, but am struggling a bit with this one.

Anaqim

Hi again,

A reply in case someone else will be searching the same topic.

From further research I get that Corona SDK does not support direct streaming so I will try to download the preview files first using network.download.

I assume that will work.

Cheers!

Anaqim

You can do it in two ways:

1. Use the native.newVideo api. It is able to stream sound without video, but you will have to hide the video view and the controls are limited.

2. Use Scott’s music streaming plugin: https://marketplace.coronalabs.com/plugin/music-streaming

Thanks for the tip!

It seems native.newVideo doesn’t support Win32 and seing that Scott’s plugin comes with a yearly fee, I think downloading before playback might work jst as well for my small project.

Those mp3 files are only 2-300 kB each.

Anaqim

Sorry just saw the Win32 part of the headline. Not sure it will work with that.

:slight_smile:

Downloading will work just fine. Only problem is you might get rejected in App Stores for downloading copyrighted third-party content… unless spotify allows this.

I have to try if this works first (at my day job atm) but afaik spotify does not allow approve with downloading BUT if I run a direct link in a browser, I get the option to do so. It will anyway be stored in the temporary directory which is cleaned each time the app starts.

Plus, I am making this app only for Windows, and perhaps Mac if there is interest.

The app is all about helping music collectors, providing extra functionality that spotify is lacking (imo).

So far, all is looking good.

Thanks mate!

Hi again,

A reply in case someone else will be searching the same topic.

From further research I get that Corona SDK does not support direct streaming so I will try to download the preview files first using network.download.

I assume that will work.

Cheers!

Anaqim

You can do it in two ways:

1. Use the native.newVideo api. It is able to stream sound without video, but you will have to hide the video view and the controls are limited.

2. Use Scott’s music streaming plugin: https://marketplace.coronalabs.com/plugin/music-streaming

Thanks for the tip!

It seems native.newVideo doesn’t support Win32 and seing that Scott’s plugin comes with a yearly fee, I think downloading before playback might work jst as well for my small project.

Those mp3 files are only 2-300 kB each.

Anaqim

Sorry just saw the Win32 part of the headline. Not sure it will work with that.

:slight_smile:

Downloading will work just fine. Only problem is you might get rejected in App Stores for downloading copyrighted third-party content… unless spotify allows this.

I have to try if this works first (at my day job atm) but afaik spotify does not allow approve with downloading BUT if I run a direct link in a browser, I get the option to do so. It will anyway be stored in the temporary directory which is cleaned each time the app starts.

Plus, I am making this app only for Windows, and perhaps Mac if there is interest.

The app is all about helping music collectors, providing extra functionality that spotify is lacking (imo).

So far, all is looking good.

Thanks mate!