How to ensure ad loads before you need it?

So I have this game im working on.  The game itsself is complete, now I am just adding in the monetization aspects.  I am using Appodeal, and having to limit my ads due to googles requirement for ads for family aps. 

Anyway, my goal is two-fold.  First, I want the ability that if a member fails at my game, he/she can try again after a popup (overlay method) and selects watch a video (rewarded video in this case).  The second thing I want is after 5 loses and 5 times not watching videos to continue, I want to force a video (interstitial).  So, for testing purposes I have done 2 things, I added in the after 5 times interstitial video code.  I also created another screen/overlay where I have a button that just plays a video on demand.  The problem I am having is that with both of these, if I don’t wait about 10 seconds +  before either clicking the on-demand button or doing the 5 fails mandatory video… nothing happens.  I assume this is because the video hasn’t had time to load prior to showing it. 

So, how are you all getting around this and ensuring that the video loads?  I was guessing maybe a Loading screen at the very beginning but wasn’t sure how to do this.  How would I tell the loading screen that the video is ready and head to the main menu.  Also, will having different parent scenes from the initialization (loading screen) and the scene that calls the show function of the video screw anything up? 

Any help is appreciated thanks!

I use Appodeal also but I don’t control anything on the Lua side of code. In Appodeal, I would set for example that this particular placement only shows after x number of requests and only shows once per session.

As for having the video ready when it is needed, I do the request for the reward video ahead of time. For example in my app it is virtually impossible to lose in the first 10 moves. I make the request rewarded video at around the 11 move in anticipation of the lost. I don’t know your game but you might be able to do the same.

Another item I will mention that took me a while to get wrapped around my head is that reward ads and interstitial by default share the same placement in Appodeal. So if the default placement has a limit of once per 30 seconds this applies to both interstitial and rewarded as one. So if you show a rewarded video you’ll have to wait at least 30 seconds to show an interstitial or another reward video.

Hope this helps.