How to make a smooth trail movement object using particles effect?

Hi, I’m making a small game with some effects using CBE plugin. The hero will catch some energy items on the go. I would like to make the energy item fly to the container with a trail. I use simple particle effect and move it (x, y) per frame. The result is quite good but the trail is not smooth. See my result

How can I make the trail smooth? Anyone have any ideas to achieve smooth trail.

My code:

function Energy:enterFrame(event) -- omit object moving calculation self.vent:set({emitX = self.view.x, emitY = self.view.y}) end

Thanks in advance!

Does the trail break regularly? Like smooth-smooth-smooth-break-smooth-smooth-smooth-break, in regular intervals? If it does, you can turn your perEmit to 1 and your emissionNum to 0, and the particles will continually be spawned one at a time.

If it only breaks when your objects move fast, I’d suggest either slowing them down or using a points-on-line calculation and emitting at each location.

• Caleb

Thank you Caleb. I tried your points-on-line calculation suggestion and got it really smooth ;). But it breaks my game performance, the FPS drops a lots =)) (45fps/500 particles/4 trails). I’m trying to optimize it.

• Thinh

Don’t forget the simple optimization method of not using every point. Just do every other point - even that little step should make it twice as fast.

• Caleb

You’re right Caleb. I have optimized it by using a “spawn interval” distance. This allow me to adjust the density of particles. The result is smooth and save the game’s fps.

Thanks again for your advice.

• Thinh

Does the trail break regularly? Like smooth-smooth-smooth-break-smooth-smooth-smooth-break, in regular intervals? If it does, you can turn your perEmit to 1 and your emissionNum to 0, and the particles will continually be spawned one at a time.

If it only breaks when your objects move fast, I’d suggest either slowing them down or using a points-on-line calculation and emitting at each location.

• Caleb

Thank you Caleb. I tried your points-on-line calculation suggestion and got it really smooth ;). But it breaks my game performance, the FPS drops a lots =)) (45fps/500 particles/4 trails). I’m trying to optimize it.

• Thinh

Don’t forget the simple optimization method of not using every point. Just do every other point - even that little step should make it twice as fast.

• Caleb

You’re right Caleb. I have optimized it by using a “spawn interval” distance. This allow me to adjust the density of particles. The result is smooth and save the game’s fps.

Thanks again for your advice.

• Thinh