HTML5 builds status

Hi!

A potential customer have asked me if I could create a few browser games for him.
We are talking mostly about word games but a simple platformer could be asked.
Animation using sprite sheets will appear too.

Also dynamic customization is needed.
For example if it’s an anagram game, the user must be able to add his own words by using a web form outside the game. User’s words will be saved in a mysql database and the game will read them from there.

I have created games and business apps involving sprite sheets, mysql databases on server etc etc for Android - iOS using Solar2D and everything works great.

If someone had ask me to make this for Android - iOS I would have already start it!
But in HTML5 builds I have minimum experience with some simple tests.

Are HTML5 builds working good enough to accept the job?
Or should I pass this one?

It really depends on the complexity and scope.

The HTML5 builds have a few kinks to watch out for, and their performance is lacking a bit, but if you are doing a something like a word game, I don’t see a reason as to why it wouldn’t work.

You can check out some of my small/small-ish projects from:

And of course:

Both sites need some dire updating, but I’m currently tackling an annoying client project and haven’t had the time to work on them for a while. :smiley:

The main thing to watch out for with the HTML5 builds is to lock the HTML5 build’s aspect ratio by using CSS (and optionally with iframe as well). If the user can resize the app window or change the aspect ratio, then all kinds of oddities can occur (and you likely don’t want to be dealing with them).

1 Like

XeduR thank you for the reply!

I had already checked your website before making this post. :smiley:
Found it on google search!

Is there a way to switch from frame to full screen and back to frame?
Like an “expand” button and go back using esc button on keyboard (edit: or better by pressing the same “expand” button again).
That’s one more thing I wanted to ask but completely forgot on my first post.

Yeah, going fullscreen and back to frame is fairly trivial. However, you’ll need to pay attention to the aspect ratio and such issues, because things will start acting up right away. For instance, if your initial display size would be 960x640, but then you go full screen at 1920x1080, Solar2D will not “automatically” opt for larger textures as the textures are assigned at the time of creation, etc.

There’s also some weirdness with the physics, where physics forces are significantly lesser than on other platforms.

I’m sure that some of these issues won’t go anywhere even if and when we get to the final build, like swapping to larger or smaller textures on demand, so HTML5 builds will just be a bit trickier than others in that sense.

1 Like

XeduR thank you again!

I will start making a demo soon and probably accept the job.

Here’s an oven fresh excerpt from Solar2D Discord.

Here’s a link to the commit:

1 Like

Sweet!! :smiley:

Thank you!!