I can't show MoreApps page, keep getting "failed" in callback, and the reason?

I have configured MoreApps tab for the app and check “Autofill with network advertising”, but I still cannot display moreApps via Chartboost Plugin (I have no problem in displaying interstitial ads)

When I try to cache MoreApps(chartboost.cache(“moreApps”)), I got following in the callback

Aug 25 15:23:48 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = phase load Aug 25 15:23:48 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = type moreApps Aug 25 15:23:48 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = name chartboost Aug 25 15:23:48 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = result failed

When I try to display MoreApps (chartboost.show( “moreApps” )), I got following in the callback

Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = phase load Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = type moreApps Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = name chartboost Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = result failed Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = phase load Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = type moreApps Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = name chartboost Aug 25 15:26:08 chartBoostListener -\> k/v = result failed 

What should I be checking to make it work?

Is it due to Chartboost account configurations or anything else? (I can display Chartboost interstitial ads without problem)

Hey Joe.

99% of the time this is a Chartboost account configuration issue yeah.

Please ensure that you follow all the steps listed here: http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/48517-chartboost-plugin-released/?p=259303

You also need to add a “More Apps” campaign.

Also, I find it helps to add at least one manual “More Apps” entry, along with adding the “autofill” setting to help work through these issues.

Thanks

@joe

Have you tried creating a MoreApps campaign and assigning it to your moreApps list?

I’ve found that the “Autofill with network advertising” option doesn’t do much at times. I suspect it might have something to do with Chartboost’s changes they’ve implemented in the past month.

Thanks. After I added the some campaigns, it works now.

But not very consistent… still unable to show MoreApps page sometimes (got failed in callback).

…it might be that it takes some time for the campaigns to gather enough data. Also I don’t know if they implement the same logic as they do for their Interstitial ads in that they have limited inventory, and once the inventory has run out, you’ll have to wait for more inventory to become available…

In my testing I’ve never seen a “failed” event for moreApps, however I only test it max a handful of times per test-period.

One thing though is that I mainly use it for cross-promoting my own apps, so I always have my own apps at the top of the list.

A word of warning though. Apple does not allow showing other developers apps in this way. If they detect it your app will be rejected.

Here’s what I got from Apple when I had this feature enabled:

2.25: Apps that display Apps other than your own for purchase or promotion in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store will be rejected, unless designed for a specific approved need (e.g. health management, aviation, accessibility, etc.) or which provide significant added value for a specific group of customers

Your app displays apps, other than your own, for purchase or promotion. This is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, your app contains a section that includes 3rd-party apps from other developers. It would be appropriate to remove this feature from your app to be in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Thanks a lot for letting me know Apple doesn’t allow it.

I guess I will not use MoreApps then.

I thought they were allowing “more apps” again?I have just an app for review and made sure the only thing setup in Chartboost was my apps in the more window. I was hoping to show other apps once the app is approved. Would that work?

Thanks.

ps: Quick questions about “more apps” compaigns. I am assuming you define it like the full screen compaigns but just setup as more app and not full screen. Then use it under the “more” tab in the app correct? Do you need to set a financial number? (minimum bid) and a level? (highest, high, medium…) Thanks for any info on that since i am very confused when it comes to the more games. Maybe I should start a new thread :slight_smile:

@LairdGames

Yes, they are allowing MoreApps again, as long as you only promote your own apps.

MoreApps campaigns behave like other campaigns which mean you can set financial criteria if you’d like. When creating a campaign, set the type to “More Apps”. MoreApps campaigns only work for Apple and Google at the moment. Amazon is not included in the list of supported stores.

You *could* cheat the system by having your MoreApps campaign deactivated during Apple’s approval process and then activate it after approval. Depends on how legit you want to be…

I use Chartboost’s MoreApps for both paid and free apps to cross-promote my own apps.

One thing to remember is if you use it for paid apps you must not include the AdSupport framework as Apple doesn’t allow that framework for any other purposes than advertising. MoreApps works well without it, but it won’t be able to track installs which makes it pointless to show other developers apps as you will not get any revenue even if they would install an app from the list.

If you’re not an Enterprise user you don’t have any control of this, so using the plugin for paid apps will most likely cause an app rejection with Apple.

THANKS @ingemar! Yes I could turn on the apps after approval. Not sure it is worth it but I guess getting the chance to get few dollars for advertising another app could make it worth it since I am not sure advertizing my own apps would bring that few dollars in the end.

Thanks again so much for the info.

Mo

Hey Joe.

99% of the time this is a Chartboost account configuration issue yeah.

Please ensure that you follow all the steps listed here: http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/48517-chartboost-plugin-released/?p=259303

You also need to add a “More Apps” campaign.

Also, I find it helps to add at least one manual “More Apps” entry, along with adding the “autofill” setting to help work through these issues.

Thanks

@joe

Have you tried creating a MoreApps campaign and assigning it to your moreApps list?

I’ve found that the “Autofill with network advertising” option doesn’t do much at times. I suspect it might have something to do with Chartboost’s changes they’ve implemented in the past month.

Thanks. After I added the some campaigns, it works now.

But not very consistent… still unable to show MoreApps page sometimes (got failed in callback).

…it might be that it takes some time for the campaigns to gather enough data. Also I don’t know if they implement the same logic as they do for their Interstitial ads in that they have limited inventory, and once the inventory has run out, you’ll have to wait for more inventory to become available…

In my testing I’ve never seen a “failed” event for moreApps, however I only test it max a handful of times per test-period.

One thing though is that I mainly use it for cross-promoting my own apps, so I always have my own apps at the top of the list.

A word of warning though. Apple does not allow showing other developers apps in this way. If they detect it your app will be rejected.

Here’s what I got from Apple when I had this feature enabled:

2.25: Apps that display Apps other than your own for purchase or promotion in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store will be rejected, unless designed for a specific approved need (e.g. health management, aviation, accessibility, etc.) or which provide significant added value for a specific group of customers

Your app displays apps, other than your own, for purchase or promotion. This is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, your app contains a section that includes 3rd-party apps from other developers. It would be appropriate to remove this feature from your app to be in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Thanks a lot for letting me know Apple doesn’t allow it.

I guess I will not use MoreApps then.

I thought they were allowing “more apps” again?I have just an app for review and made sure the only thing setup in Chartboost was my apps in the more window. I was hoping to show other apps once the app is approved. Would that work?

Thanks.

ps: Quick questions about “more apps” compaigns. I am assuming you define it like the full screen compaigns but just setup as more app and not full screen. Then use it under the “more” tab in the app correct? Do you need to set a financial number? (minimum bid) and a level? (highest, high, medium…) Thanks for any info on that since i am very confused when it comes to the more games. Maybe I should start a new thread :slight_smile:

@LairdGames

Yes, they are allowing MoreApps again, as long as you only promote your own apps.

MoreApps campaigns behave like other campaigns which mean you can set financial criteria if you’d like. When creating a campaign, set the type to “More Apps”. MoreApps campaigns only work for Apple and Google at the moment. Amazon is not included in the list of supported stores.

You *could* cheat the system by having your MoreApps campaign deactivated during Apple’s approval process and then activate it after approval. Depends on how legit you want to be…

I use Chartboost’s MoreApps for both paid and free apps to cross-promote my own apps.

One thing to remember is if you use it for paid apps you must not include the AdSupport framework as Apple doesn’t allow that framework for any other purposes than advertising. MoreApps works well without it, but it won’t be able to track installs which makes it pointless to show other developers apps as you will not get any revenue even if they would install an app from the list.

If you’re not an Enterprise user you don’t have any control of this, so using the plugin for paid apps will most likely cause an app rejection with Apple.

THANKS @ingemar! Yes I could turn on the apps after approval. Not sure it is worth it but I guess getting the chance to get few dollars for advertising another app could make it worth it since I am not sure advertizing my own apps would bring that few dollars in the end.

Thanks again so much for the info.

Mo