I would like to create an app with a calendar bookings for houses holiday

Hello everyone
I would like to create an app with a calendar to record all the bookings of a holiday houses in a local database.

The app serves only to the owner for a management of the houses to be rented, not to the customers to book directly.

The basic idea is that the manager chooses the house, the period and enters the customer data, then if I can create at least this I would expand it with other features.

I deal with graphics and websites, but I’ve never programmed an app, and I read that “Corona SDK” is a complete system, easy to learn, with lots of material to read and a forum where to find support.

In your opinion, is Corona the right environment to make this app?

Can you suggest an easy tutorial where to start to make it or plugins and api to use?

Thank you in advance for your advice
Max

Local database to me means on the device. Do you actually mean a database on a machine in your office?

To be clear, is this app only going to be used in your office? i.e. No client/person can run it from some remote location and still need access to your db?

If the mobile device (running your app) and your machine (with the DB) are on the same network (WiFi), then all you need to do is ensure the machine in your office is running some kind of PHP front-end and the you can write some basic networking code for your mobile app to POST, GET, … to access the DB.

Your mobile app can be targeted at a specific IP (the one the DB host is running at).

Corona would be a great sdk to use for this app IMO.

I think a json file could easily handle the data on device, but…

If you’ve got the php skills, I would highly suggest using a server/db  or at least including the functionality to upload/download a json file to Dropbox so the data is recoverable.  I’ve done it both ways, I prefer the db.

I’d consider this an aggressive first app, but totally doable.  You’ll learn alot.  Google is your friend.

Nail

Thanks @roaminggamer and @xnailbender for the interest

exactly, I mean the app database must be on the device with the ability to backup to google drive and restore it.

So going to do maybe too big for the first time, but I would like to try.

You have tips / tutorials on how to get started on this project?

Thanks again for your attention.

Max

You might want to look at:

https://github.com/coronalabs-samples/business-app-sample

This collects data and stores it to a local SQLite database.

Rob

Thank you @Rob Miracle for the indication

in the next days I do some tests and see if I can understand how “Corona” works

Thanks again

Max

Local database to me means on the device. Do you actually mean a database on a machine in your office?

To be clear, is this app only going to be used in your office? i.e. No client/person can run it from some remote location and still need access to your db?

If the mobile device (running your app) and your machine (with the DB) are on the same network (WiFi), then all you need to do is ensure the machine in your office is running some kind of PHP front-end and the you can write some basic networking code for your mobile app to POST, GET, … to access the DB.

Your mobile app can be targeted at a specific IP (the one the DB host is running at).

Corona would be a great sdk to use for this app IMO.

I think a json file could easily handle the data on device, but…

If you’ve got the php skills, I would highly suggest using a server/db  or at least including the functionality to upload/download a json file to Dropbox so the data is recoverable.  I’ve done it both ways, I prefer the db.

I’d consider this an aggressive first app, but totally doable.  You’ll learn alot.  Google is your friend.

Nail

Thanks @roaminggamer and @xnailbender for the interest

exactly, I mean the app database must be on the device with the ability to backup to google drive and restore it.

So going to do maybe too big for the first time, but I would like to try.

You have tips / tutorials on how to get started on this project?

Thanks again for your attention.

Max

You might want to look at:

https://github.com/coronalabs-samples/business-app-sample

This collects data and stores it to a local SQLite database.

Rob

Thank you @Rob Miracle for the indication

in the next days I do some tests and see if I can understand how “Corona” works

Thanks again

Max