iDevice as controller

Is there support for using an iOS device as a controller for tvOS?  If so, how exactly does that work?  Would there need to be 2 different builds (one for App Store and one for tvOS store)?

Apple supported this for the first generation Apple TV but as of now, you cant use an iPhone or iPad as a remote.

Rob

I know there are apps that connect iPhone/iPad to the new AppleTV as a controller, though it isn’t done through bluetooth.  I guess its done over wifi somehow

I thought this was some kind of basic functionality (connecting and using within an app) with Apple TV 4 because it was shown during the keynote with “Crossy Road”. As far as I know there is a new version of the Remote-App available since 1 or 2 weeks as well.

Looks like Apple released an update on 12/9 that adds support for Apple TV gen 4. I’m installing it now to see how it works.

Rob

Woo Hoo… It works!

Apple supported this for the first generation Apple TV but as of now, you cant use an iPhone or iPad as a remote.

Rob

I know there are apps that connect iPhone/iPad to the new AppleTV as a controller, though it isn’t done through bluetooth.  I guess its done over wifi somehow

I thought this was some kind of basic functionality (connecting and using within an app) with Apple TV 4 because it was shown during the keynote with “Crossy Road”. As far as I know there is a new version of the Remote-App available since 1 or 2 weeks as well.

Looks like Apple released an update on 12/9 that adds support for Apple TV gen 4. I’m installing it now to see how it works.

Rob

Woo Hoo… It works!