In need of experienced Corona developer with experience in 3D image implementation as well as producing eye-catching and directly publishable projects

Hello, 

I am looking for someone familiar with implementing 3D image files into an app (as well as knowledge on file size restrictions, etc.)

I’m looking to have a mobile application developed for iphone/ipad as well as all android devices.

The app will be an education tool. It will have a 3D images (which I will send to you) which can be rotated around with the user’s finger. Underneath the 3D model, the user can click for hints to appear on the model (possibly image overlay) as well as more textual information on the 3D model. This text box should be able to be enlarged if needed by the user. The app will also have a “learning mode” and a “quiz” mode. In the quiz mode, the user selects what is to be focused on and then a quiz is generated off the user’s selection. A “storybook” will be provided for you as a guide to what I wish for the application to resemble.

Very important to me is “neatness” and “clean” app that does not look cluttered and visually looks to be professionally made for the Apple store (i.e. transparent boxes, etc.) Also important, is your expertise in creating an application that does not experience lag (as this will most likely be a large file application already) and your expertise in creating a final project that follows all App store rules/regulations and can be uploaded to the Apple App store or Google Play store without issues or delays.

Please let me know if this is a project you can undertake and links to any previous projects/expertise and expected price. If more details needed, I can send you a link to a similar application. This project is not an immediate rush, within 2 months is acceptable but obviously the sooner the better in order to allow time for final touch ups/etc.

Thanks very much, please feel free to ask any additional questions via a personal message.

Nathan

You realise that Corona is 2D right?  It cannot rotate 3D models

Many years ago, there was a developer who used CoronaSDK  to create an app that teaches you how to tie knot. The app used 3D images saved as PNG files.

See this old thread:

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/23912-knots-3d-amazon-free-app-of-the-day/

I have a 3D game using Corona…my point was to responsively rotate in 3D in Corona will take a large amount of pngs (say every 10 degrees).  If there are many large objects then using a 2D engine is not the right tool for the job and Unity is the best for this.

You can (eventually) cut with a screwdriver… but you really are better off just using a saw.

Hi Sphere, does it make any difference that I have the 3D image already and am just trying to have an application made to “house” and present this 3D file? AKA, I’m not trying to create a 3D object in Corona. Its just a single image that the user rotates about with their finger to examine the object from all sides. 

Edit: and thanks for the link elbowroomapps, I’ll check it out

What is your 3D image? What file format?

File format I can provide from the 3D artist is .stl or any of the following: 

.3DS

.OBJ

.LWO

.DXF

.XSI

.FBX

I’m not familiar enough with these file types and which is best for this my purpose though.

OK they are all 3D file types (from 3D Studio max) that will not work in Corona

Understood, thanks for the help. Is there a format I can request that can work with Corona? I’ve been with this community longer and don’t mind hiring here vs. Unity if result is similar.

Scott Harrison has a plugin that will show those formats on iOS devices. There isn’t a simulator, Android or desktop version.

https://marketplace.coronalabs.com/plugin/scenekit

This is a native object that sits on top of the Corona display, but it would in theory let you show a 3D object and rotate it.

Rob

Or maybe you can host your model via a browser (by using webGL a webView) and have the front end in Corona? This would work on Android and desktop too.

You realise that Corona is 2D right?  It cannot rotate 3D models

Many years ago, there was a developer who used CoronaSDK  to create an app that teaches you how to tie knot. The app used 3D images saved as PNG files.

See this old thread:

https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/23912-knots-3d-amazon-free-app-of-the-day/

I have a 3D game using Corona…my point was to responsively rotate in 3D in Corona will take a large amount of pngs (say every 10 degrees).  If there are many large objects then using a 2D engine is not the right tool for the job and Unity is the best for this.

You can (eventually) cut with a screwdriver… but you really are better off just using a saw.

Hi Sphere, does it make any difference that I have the 3D image already and am just trying to have an application made to “house” and present this 3D file? AKA, I’m not trying to create a 3D object in Corona. Its just a single image that the user rotates about with their finger to examine the object from all sides. 

Edit: and thanks for the link elbowroomapps, I’ll check it out

What is your 3D image? What file format?

File format I can provide from the 3D artist is .stl or any of the following: 

.3DS

.OBJ

.LWO

.DXF

.XSI

.FBX

I’m not familiar enough with these file types and which is best for this my purpose though.

OK they are all 3D file types (from 3D Studio max) that will not work in Corona

Understood, thanks for the help. Is there a format I can request that can work with Corona? I’ve been with this community longer and don’t mind hiring here vs. Unity if result is similar.

Scott Harrison has a plugin that will show those formats on iOS devices. There isn’t a simulator, Android or desktop version.

https://marketplace.coronalabs.com/plugin/scenekit

This is a native object that sits on top of the Corona display, but it would in theory let you show a 3D object and rotate it.

Rob