Initial impressions

I really like the concept of this tool, despite the obvious bugs which have been well documented by others. I have been working on a page layout tool for developing kids books for some time which works with my backend delivery system for assets download and also uses JSON for defining the page objects and layout. So I can relate to what you’re trying to achieve here.

I was hoping to be able to try this out using my own assets but the limitation in canvas size to 320x480 prevented that. Also I still use Storyboard so the direct tie-in with the Composer API doesn’t immediately help, especially as the code integration is not yet very transparent. In my apps I primarily use a pair of generic data-driven Storyboard templates for the next and previous pages, rather than one for each page of a book, so I need full control of how that works. I don’t foresee any particular problems converting my code to Composer but having spent quite some time converting a years worth of work to Graphics 2.0 I’m not ready for that transition yet!

Interactivity in my apps is largely driven by my JSON data file, with hooks for custom code when needed, so the stand-alone level-editor approach of Composer is less easy to integrate into my work flow but I can see its broader appeal. I would like to see the JSON file in a more human-readable format too as its sometimes easy to manually edit the data rather than do another round trip in the GUI editor, but I appreciate that approach is likely to break things!

Stefan