Is Corona viable for making my game?

Hi! 

I’ve been using Corona sdk since more than 1 year ago, and I’m from Honduras.

but I’ve asked myself if I should use Corona for making my game, wich will be with four main elements:

A Top-Down view with a big map,

Tekken combat style in 2d,

Fallout Shelter-like style of rooms (or only side view rooms, I’ve not decided yet)

and characters talking with a visual novel-style.

I tried Unity, but I have no experience with it, and it’s and advantage its UI, and it have bunch of tutorials, 

but i’m still prefering Corona because of its speed, Lua language, build speed and simplicity.

but the differences are that Unity can build in consoles, and have 3d.

I can’t decide what engine to use, and the I don’t know all the advantages that one engine or another will bring me while making the game, or if I should continue learning about Unity, but the problem with that is that I’m in vacation and I’m not sure if in two month i could learn to use it and make a demo of the game.

I’ll like to know your opinion :slight_smile:

You can easily do such a game if it’s 2d (I haven’t played it, but I guess FOS has 3d rooms, so you’d have to use 2d sideview rooms for that).

Like Michael said, you can accomplish your game on Corona, but it sounds to me like you really need to think the project through. You mentioned quite a lot of things that you have thought about, but haven’t decided on yet. If you decide to make your game in 3D, then you can’t use Corona for that. If you keep it 2D and include the elements that you’ve talked, then you can accomplish them using Corona.

When it comes to developing games, you have to consider who you are making the game for, what kind of game they are expecting and what devices they are on. Research similar games. It’d be a waste if you spend months or years developing a great game for an audience that doesn’t exist, either at all or on a specific platform.

Oh, and an update on consoles, you probably should forget about them altogether. If you are just starting out, then you definitely don’t want to take them on at the beginning. While Unity can build for all consoles, the process of getting your game to a store for Xbox or PlayStation is much harder than just pressing “build for…” on Unity.

Thank you both! 

now I think uploading games on consoles it’s not that big advantage for a game, my purpose is my game to be played by a lot of people

and there isn’t a big difference in the amount of public reached on phones&Pc’s and consoles.

And I will continue to use Corona, I already know how to use it and it’s faster than unity at all.

Greetings from Honduras!

You are missing the point with talking about consoles not being an advantage for your game.

At the 2012 D.I.C.E. summit, Todd Howard of Bethesda said that “if install base really mattered, we’d all make board games, because there are a lot of tables.” You should never think about developing games based on how many customers you could theoretically reach via a specific platform. You have to follow your passion and develop the game that you want to create. Creating a mobile game is very different from creating a console or desktop game. Everything from the controls, to monetisation, gaming habits and what the players expect are different.

Just think of the kind of game that you want to create, what platform it would be played best on and then make the best game that you can and forget about how many players you could theoretically reach across different platforms. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can easily do such a game if it’s 2d (I haven’t played it, but I guess FOS has 3d rooms, so you’d have to use 2d sideview rooms for that).

Like Michael said, you can accomplish your game on Corona, but it sounds to me like you really need to think the project through. You mentioned quite a lot of things that you have thought about, but haven’t decided on yet. If you decide to make your game in 3D, then you can’t use Corona for that. If you keep it 2D and include the elements that you’ve talked, then you can accomplish them using Corona.

When it comes to developing games, you have to consider who you are making the game for, what kind of game they are expecting and what devices they are on. Research similar games. It’d be a waste if you spend months or years developing a great game for an audience that doesn’t exist, either at all or on a specific platform.

Oh, and an update on consoles, you probably should forget about them altogether. If you are just starting out, then you definitely don’t want to take them on at the beginning. While Unity can build for all consoles, the process of getting your game to a store for Xbox or PlayStation is much harder than just pressing “build for…” on Unity.

Thank you both! 

now I think uploading games on consoles it’s not that big advantage for a game, my purpose is my game to be played by a lot of people

and there isn’t a big difference in the amount of public reached on phones&Pc’s and consoles.

And I will continue to use Corona, I already know how to use it and it’s faster than unity at all.

Greetings from Honduras!

You are missing the point with talking about consoles not being an advantage for your game.

At the 2012 D.I.C.E. summit, Todd Howard of Bethesda said that “if install base really mattered, we’d all make board games, because there are a lot of tables.” You should never think about developing games based on how many customers you could theoretically reach via a specific platform. You have to follow your passion and develop the game that you want to create. Creating a mobile game is very different from creating a console or desktop game. Everything from the controls, to monetisation, gaming habits and what the players expect are different.

Just think of the kind of game that you want to create, what platform it would be played best on and then make the best game that you can and forget about how many players you could theoretically reach across different platforms. :stuck_out_tongue: