Is DUSK still in development or dead?

Updates on dusk? Dead?

AFAIK, Long dead.  If, by dead, we mean no longer in active development.

https://github.com/GymbylCoding/Dusk-Engine

Last update was March 2016

However, having said that I’m sure there are many gems to be found by digging in the code.

PS - The author (Caleb) was an awesome and smart young man, but I think he has left the community.

( Pseudo-rant warning!!

IMHO - No new folks should use a free tiled library/loader and assume/hope it will do everything they need.

I think it is better to:

1. Write your own Tiled loader.
  • OR -
  1. Take an existing basic loader and modify it to suit your usage/needs.

Too often, I see people use Tiled loaders to the extent of their easily accessible features, then start polling the forums to get help ‘fixing’ things when nothing is broken.  i.e. The loader simply doesn’t supply the feature they want in the way they want it, or they don’t know how to access the feature.

By taking the DIY route one is guaranteed to at least know how their current code stacks works and be in the best of positions to fix it or add features to it.

Thanks for the info.

I am using Dusk and everything worked fine but I now investigating a system memory issue which only appears on device. So I am looking into Dusk right now.

I see.  Well my HO (humble opinion) doesn’t apply to you in this case.  You’re already all in.

In this case, I doubt it is DUSK.  Unless you can find some code in DUSK that only executes on devices, then behavior should be the same.

I would:

1. Take out all plugins and then see if you get a memory growth.

2. Also disable all logic (in your game) associated with the plugins.

Then, slowly re-add the features.

When you have features and logical paths (in your game) that are only execute on the device(s), then you’re comparing apples to oranges and can’t make any assumptions.

Dusk is a pure Lua tool. It should behave the same in the simulator and on device. I would think that unless you’ve got a device-specific process running against some of game objects.

Rob

The memory problem has nothing to do with dusk I have tested. I can see it has to do with one scene file which also is using a lot of modules. Will continue to look into it.

AFAIK, Long dead.  If, by dead, we mean no longer in active development.

https://github.com/GymbylCoding/Dusk-Engine

Last update was March 2016

However, having said that I’m sure there are many gems to be found by digging in the code.

PS - The author (Caleb) was an awesome and smart young man, but I think he has left the community.

( Pseudo-rant warning!!

IMHO - No new folks should use a free tiled library/loader and assume/hope it will do everything they need.

I think it is better to:

1. Write your own Tiled loader.
  • OR -
  1. Take an existing basic loader and modify it to suit your usage/needs.

Too often, I see people use Tiled loaders to the extent of their easily accessible features, then start polling the forums to get help ‘fixing’ things when nothing is broken.  i.e. The loader simply doesn’t supply the feature they want in the way they want it, or they don’t know how to access the feature.

By taking the DIY route one is guaranteed to at least know how their current code stacks works and be in the best of positions to fix it or add features to it.

Thanks for the info.

I am using Dusk and everything worked fine but I now investigating a system memory issue which only appears on device. So I am looking into Dusk right now.

I see.  Well my HO (humble opinion) doesn’t apply to you in this case.  You’re already all in.

In this case, I doubt it is DUSK.  Unless you can find some code in DUSK that only executes on devices, then behavior should be the same.

I would:

1. Take out all plugins and then see if you get a memory growth.

2. Also disable all logic (in your game) associated with the plugins.

Then, slowly re-add the features.

When you have features and logical paths (in your game) that are only execute on the device(s), then you’re comparing apples to oranges and can’t make any assumptions.

Dusk is a pure Lua tool. It should behave the same in the simulator and on device. I would think that unless you’ve got a device-specific process running against some of game objects.

Rob

The memory problem has nothing to do with dusk I have tested. I can see it has to do with one scene file which also is using a lot of modules. Will continue to look into it.