is it possible to have a realtime mask on top of the camera front view ?

Hello,

I used to develop applications with corona two years ago, and I remember it was not so easy to use the camera, as it opened a new display to take the picture, you could use afterwards.

For a new project, and before buying a new iOs developper program to test some code, I would like to know if it is now possible to show in realtime the view of the front camera, doing realtime manipulation of the picture (at least for example, to add a mask on top of the camera picture) ?

Thanks a lot for any information about this feature.

Olivier.

Hi @Olivier,

I think you’re speaking of “augmented reality” types of overlays, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality

This isn’t possible in Corona at the moment, but it should be supported in the upcoming graphics engine, at least to some degree. I haven’t yet learned the details from the engineers, but there is something in the works regarding this.

Best regards,

Brent Sorrentino

Hello Brent,

Thanks for your answer. Happy to hear that you are working on it, it would be so relevant !

At this time, it would be easier than an AR project : just a small app to take his own picture, with a static mask on top of it (to include a face into a picture, with a transparent mask for example).

I hope this feature will be released soon :slight_smile:

Olivier

Hi @Olivier,

I think you’re speaking of “augmented reality” types of overlays, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality

This isn’t possible in Corona at the moment, but it should be supported in the upcoming graphics engine, at least to some degree. I haven’t yet learned the details from the engineers, but there is something in the works regarding this.

Best regards,

Brent Sorrentino

Hello Brent,

Thanks for your answer. Happy to hear that you are working on it, it would be so relevant !

At this time, it would be easier than an AR project : just a small app to take his own picture, with a static mask on top of it (to include a face into a picture, with a transparent mask for example).

I hope this feature will be released soon :slight_smile:

Olivier

I’m trying to customize the camera view, however I still don’t see any augmented reality options yet. I’d like to control where the “take photo” and cancel buttons are, and to add a “choose from library” button. I’d also like to add an image mask to the camera view.

While the current system is workable, it isn’t aesthetically pleasing and certainly doesn’t add to the usability for my app.

With the new graphics engine out, I don’t see any augmented reality options available. Is this still planned anytime soon?

Pretty much everything your looking for is now in the “Daily Builds” that go out to subscribers. BUT, features in the Dailys are included in the next Public Release, so these features are on their way.

There’s a couple glitches (aka bugs) still to work out, but you can do everything you’re talking about using the “camera as a feed” feature… You can basically have the live camera feed painted onto a graphic object (like a rectangle) in real time. You can mask it, you can put things both in front of and behind it. I haven’t played with the alpha directly, but no reason to think it’s not acting like all the other graphic objects.

I’m trying to customize the camera view, however I still don’t see any augmented reality options yet. I’d like to control where the “take photo” and cancel buttons are, and to add a “choose from library” button. I’d also like to add an image mask to the camera view.

While the current system is workable, it isn’t aesthetically pleasing and certainly doesn’t add to the usability for my app.

With the new graphics engine out, I don’t see any augmented reality options available. Is this still planned anytime soon?

Pretty much everything your looking for is now in the “Daily Builds” that go out to subscribers. BUT, features in the Dailys are included in the next Public Release, so these features are on their way.

There’s a couple glitches (aka bugs) still to work out, but you can do everything you’re talking about using the “camera as a feed” feature… You can basically have the live camera feed painted onto a graphic object (like a rectangle) in real time. You can mask it, you can put things both in front of and behind it. I haven’t played with the alpha directly, but no reason to think it’s not acting like all the other graphic objects.

Can you please tell me where I can find the sample code for this new camera features?

Hi Daniela,

I don’t think we’ve created a sample project for this yet, but I can point you to the correct code bits for you to experiment with.

Take care,

Brent

Thx again Brent!

To keep things simple here in the forum I want to link to the other thread about this topic, so people who are looking for the same things can follow:

http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/50050-question-regarding-the-camery-usage-with-images/#entry259177

Can you please tell me where I can find the sample code for this new camera features?

Hi Daniela,

I don’t think we’ve created a sample project for this yet, but I can point you to the correct code bits for you to experiment with.

Take care,

Brent

Thx again Brent!

To keep things simple here in the forum I want to link to the other thread about this topic, so people who are looking for the same things can follow:

http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/50050-question-regarding-the-camery-usage-with-images/#entry259177