Is it possible to publish corona apps to window store?

Is it possible to publish  apps(created by corona sdk, not corona card)  to window store?

I believe that the Window’s App Store only takes Windows Universal apps and Windows Mobile 8 apps. Currently Corona SDK only produces Windows x86 desktop apps which I don’t think can be submitted to the store. We do have some support for Windows Phone 8 apps which are submittable, but is CoronaCards and Visual Studio based.

Rob

I’ve been able to convert a Win32 app, built with Corona SDK, into a Universal Windows Platform app by using the Desktop App Converter (link).

I didn’t go through the entire process though : I haven’t actually published the app on the Windows Store, but my UWP file does exist and everything seems to work (except a few things, like the controller api unfortunately). I’ve tested it on a Surface Pro 2 and on a Windows Phone (Nokia 650 - Windows 10). Technically, it should also work on a Xbox One. So I strongly believe this should be possible.

I intend to create a post detailling every steps, but only if I manage to go through the whole publishing process. But unfortunately, I don’t know when I’ll be able to work on it again.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14784684/microsoft-xbox-one-windows-10-indie-game-development

Anyone can now publish on Xbox One, which gives this issue a bit more relevance…

This is great news ! On the Xbox Blog, it’s said :

An important element is that developers can continue using the tools they’re already using today to create UWP games. Game engines with “out of the box” support for UWP games include Construct 2, MonoGame, Unity, and Xenko. 

Could someone explain to me what they mean in the last sentance ? I’m not really sure if I understand it correctly…

First UWP - Universal Windows Platform - This is Microsoft’s attempt to blend their phone, RT and x86 platforms into one standard that can run anywhere.

The last sentence is listing platforms that currently have a build option for Windows UWP. Corona SDK is not in that list because we currently don’t support building UWP. We support Windows Phone 8 and Windows x86 desktop builds.

We are looking into what it will take to support UWP. Microsoft has a tool that will convert most x86 builds to UWP. I spend some time yesterday trying to get it to work, but I can’t get past some setup issues to a point where I can actually try converting a Corona made x86 desktop app to UWP. 

So for now, we don’t support UWP and we can’t make any promises that we might, but clearly Microsoft is wanting it make it easier to get on the Xbox One and that’s a pretty big market. We will continue to research this, but in the mean time, please visit the feedback site: http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/4910970-xbox-one-support-uwp-support and vote up this request.

Rob

Thank you Rob :slight_smile: I wasn’t sure if Microsoft only allowed games made with Unity, MonoGame, Xenko, etc…

Like I said in an other post, I’ve managed to convert a WIN32 desktop build to a UWP file by following this guide.

Have you tried sideloading the UWP file and see if it runs correctly? Have you tried submitting it to the Windows store?

Rob

I successfully managed to install the UWP file on my PC, Surface Pro 2 and on my Nokia 650 (all of them are running on Windows 10).

The app was working as expected, just like the Win32 build, except for two things : the gamepad doesn’t work at all, and the only way to quit the app was to do a Ctrl+Alt-Del (I can’t tell if the exit function works, didn’t try it).

I didn’t try to submit my app though, and I won’t be able to try before a long time unfortunately. :frowning:

Any new news on this? Is there anyone who has successfully published (to the Windows store) either the default build generated by Corona or one that was converted to UWP?

Adding new platforms is not an easy task even if it’s using this conversion tool. Our engineers work load is full. We want to do this, it’s just not going to happen overnight. 

Rob

I was mainly wondering if anyone had found a workaround or was able to upload the default build to the Windows Store (even if its only available as a desktop app.) Thanks for the hard work Rob.

Hey @evanspro, would you mind sharing how you got it working? I got the Windows 10 SDK and the DesktopAppConverter but the package is not being created, maybe I’m writing the wrong command or using the wrong folders etc. Could you share the command you use? Thanks

Hey @Marcos Martini !

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to give you step by step instructions : I simply can’t remember how I did it exactly and the only way to do to that would be to do it again… And unfortunately, I won’t be able to do that for now (I’m sorry !).

BUT, I can give you all the URLs that helped me building the app. And unless things have changed, it should help you :

If I remember correctly, the 2nd link is the most important and I don’t think I had any trouble doing it : I simply followed those guides and it worked.

I believe that the Window’s App Store only takes Windows Universal apps and Windows Mobile 8 apps. Currently Corona SDK only produces Windows x86 desktop apps which I don’t think can be submitted to the store. We do have some support for Windows Phone 8 apps which are submittable, but is CoronaCards and Visual Studio based.

Rob

I’ve been able to convert a Win32 app, built with Corona SDK, into a Universal Windows Platform app by using the Desktop App Converter (link).

I didn’t go through the entire process though : I haven’t actually published the app on the Windows Store, but my UWP file does exist and everything seems to work (except a few things, like the controller api unfortunately). I’ve tested it on a Surface Pro 2 and on a Windows Phone (Nokia 650 - Windows 10). Technically, it should also work on a Xbox One. So I strongly believe this should be possible.

I intend to create a post detailling every steps, but only if I manage to go through the whole publishing process. But unfortunately, I don’t know when I’ll be able to work on it again.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14784684/microsoft-xbox-one-windows-10-indie-game-development

Anyone can now publish on Xbox One, which gives this issue a bit more relevance…

This is great news ! On the Xbox Blog, it’s said :

An important element is that developers can continue using the tools they’re already using today to create UWP games. Game engines with “out of the box” support for UWP games include Construct 2, MonoGame, Unity, and Xenko. 

Could someone explain to me what they mean in the last sentance ? I’m not really sure if I understand it correctly…

First UWP - Universal Windows Platform - This is Microsoft’s attempt to blend their phone, RT and x86 platforms into one standard that can run anywhere.

The last sentence is listing platforms that currently have a build option for Windows UWP. Corona SDK is not in that list because we currently don’t support building UWP. We support Windows Phone 8 and Windows x86 desktop builds.

We are looking into what it will take to support UWP. Microsoft has a tool that will convert most x86 builds to UWP. I spend some time yesterday trying to get it to work, but I can’t get past some setup issues to a point where I can actually try converting a Corona made x86 desktop app to UWP. 

So for now, we don’t support UWP and we can’t make any promises that we might, but clearly Microsoft is wanting it make it easier to get on the Xbox One and that’s a pretty big market. We will continue to research this, but in the mean time, please visit the feedback site: http://feedback.coronalabs.com/forums/188732-corona-sdk-feature-requests-feedback/suggestions/4910970-xbox-one-support-uwp-support and vote up this request.

Rob

Thank you Rob :slight_smile: I wasn’t sure if Microsoft only allowed games made with Unity, MonoGame, Xenko, etc…

Like I said in an other post, I’ve managed to convert a WIN32 desktop build to a UWP file by following this guide.