Is Lua Glider a dead product?

Does anyone have any information on the future of Lua-Glider , it’s been a long time since any update was released, and M.Y.developers are pretty much silence.

Is this the time to start looking for alternatives?

Hello Dorl,

It has been a while since the last update for Glider but rest assured we are still working on the product. There were many Java related issues that had plagued the Mac version of Glider for a while and all we could really do as a two man shop is wait for the java issues to slowly get sorted out. The good news is based on the jdk bug tracker many of these bugs have been resolved in recent java versions and we will be updating the bundled jre with Glider next week once we confirm it is finally working. We will probably need help from some community members that have had had problems with Glider to help us sort this out.

Are there any features or issues in particular?

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

It’s good to hear, you guys still have the best IDE out there.

As for features and issues:

Core stuff

• Please interact more in the forum (or blog or some other media), radio silent does not breed confidence.
  • If you need to charge more money for this product, tell the community about is and lets have a discussion.
  • Communicate better what is the current LuaGlider version, I download a setup program from a link you posted here (can’t know if it is the same as listed on your website), the “what’s new” screen say I have version “2.2.1”, the about screen say I have version “2.0” and also version " 2.0 201403101706".

Enhancements

• Support code completion inside closures – this is the most important enhancement for me.
  • Improved the way you remove the “require “CiderDebugger”;” reference from the code, it can get really annoying when it’s stay in the code.
  • Update Corona API code completion definitions.
  • Add a spell check for comments, strings and variables\functions names.
  • Make remote debugger easier to setup, most of the times I can’t get it to work, and I have no idea why.
  • Explicit document what is the proper way to annotates (for code complete) objects.
  • Support folding custom regions in the editor.
  • Have an option to color “self” in a specific color.
  • Do not flag iterator values as global.

Hello Dorl,

Thank you for the feedback and we really appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. We will make a note of this and we will also be working on the enhancements you mentioned. We will keep everyone updated as often as possible. We have been thinking about the price model for Glider but we want it to be affordable for everyone so we don’t plan on changing our pricing. We really appreciate all the support from the community. 

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Hello Dorl,

Just a few more questions/comments about your suggestions. Thank you for the detailed feedback.

Enhancements

• Support code completion inside closures – this is the most important enhancement for me.

Can you post a code snippet along with where you want to invoke code completion and what are your wish lists for what appears there.

• Improved the way you remove the “require “CiderDebugger”;” reference from the code, it can get really annoying when it’s stay in the code.

You can try to disable automatic insertion via glider options -> editor -> project management / “Do not auto insert require debugger line.” It should be removed automatically when you stop debugging though. Have you noticed a pattern when it does not automatically get removed?

Indeed this is one of the top priorities. 

This would indeed be a great feature addition. Will try getting this in the next update.

• Make remote debugger easier to setup, most of the times I can’t get it to work, and I have no idea why.

How are you using remote debugging? On device or on the simulator?

• Explicit document what is the proper way to annotates (for code complete) objects.

Sure. Just so you are aware there are many examples in the auto-complete stub files. Simply ctrl click on a corona sdk library object to go there.

• Support folding custom regions in the editor.

This is a good idea. Will try getting this in the next update as well.

Please paste a code sample for this as well.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Hello Dorl,

It has been a while since the last update for Glider but rest assured we are still working on the product. There were many Java related issues that had plagued the Mac version of Glider for a while and all we could really do as a two man shop is wait for the java issues to slowly get sorted out. The good news is based on the jdk bug tracker many of these bugs have been resolved in recent java versions and we will be updating the bundled jre with Glider next week once we confirm it is finally working. We will probably need help from some community members that have had had problems with Glider to help us sort this out.

Are there any features or issues in particular?

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

It’s good to hear, you guys still have the best IDE out there.

As for features and issues:

Core stuff

• Please interact more in the forum (or blog or some other media), radio silent does not breed confidence.
  • If you need to charge more money for this product, tell the community about is and lets have a discussion.
  • Communicate better what is the current LuaGlider version, I download a setup program from a link you posted here (can’t know if it is the same as listed on your website), the “what’s new” screen say I have version “2.2.1”, the about screen say I have version “2.0” and also version " 2.0 201403101706".

Enhancements

• Support folding custom regions in the editor.

Hello Dorl,

Thank you for the feedback and we really appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. We will make a note of this and we will also be working on the enhancements you mentioned. We will keep everyone updated as often as possible. We have been thinking about the price model for Glider but we want it to be affordable for everyone so we don’t plan on changing our pricing. We really appreciate all the support from the community. 

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Hello Dorl,

Just a few more questions/comments about your suggestions. Thank you for the detailed feedback.

Enhancements

Can you post a code snippet along with where you want to invoke code completion and what are your wish lists for what appears there.

You can try to disable automatic insertion via glider options -> editor -> project management / “Do not auto insert require debugger line.” It should be removed automatically when you stop debugging though. Have you noticed a pattern when it does not automatically get removed?

Indeed this is one of the top priorities. 

This would indeed be a great feature addition. Will try getting this in the next update.

How are you using remote debugging? On device or on the simulator?

Sure. Just so you are aware there are many examples in the auto-complete stub files. Simply ctrl click on a corona sdk library object to go there.

• Support folding custom regions in the editor.

This is a good idea. Will try getting this in the next update as well.

Please paste a code sample for this as well.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers