Issue RE: Facebook App IDs for iOS and Android?

I have noticed that my FB analytics are properly catching my iOS game player details, but nothing for Android.

In my build.settings, for iOS, where it works, I have:
iphone = {

plist = {

…

FacebookAppID=“xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,

…

whereas on Android, I have:
android = {

facebookAppId=“xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,

…

Would the lower-case “f” in the Android section cause it not to properly connect and track analytics?

Our game connects to FB via a web interface, but this question is unrelated to FB implementations - shouldn’t setting the facebookAppID always send the analytics data of the users device to FB, regardless of how we implement FB functionality?

Any help is much appreciated.

Did you copy-and-paste that?

If so, you have android spelled wrongly.

@romaininggamer - it was a typo made in this forum. The code is right. And I fixed the spelling above.

Does anyone have an ideas about how to solve this? Or is something else required for me to get the FB analytics to recognize the Android version?

For Android, key names like facebookAppId, they are specified in “camelCase” and the lower case “f” is correct.  Apple uses Pascal Case for its key names, which upper-cases the first letter.

Rob

@troy

Good deal. I figured as much.  Just wanted to be sure.

Can anyone please help with this? What is necessary to make sure that FB analytics receives info from Corona upon launch other than:

android = {

…

I have no idea how FB gets analytics data. There is no magic in build.settings. It’s possible calling facebook.init() does something on the analytics side. Maybe it’s calling facebook.login(). I’m not sure I follow what you mean by “connecting via web interface”.

Rob

@Rob, the strange thing about this is that we don’t call FB.init, ever, since we handle FB via a web interface.

All FB sharing, etc… is done via web interface.

The only time we call the FB graph API is when we get photos of your FB players in the leaderboard.

With that said, I have noticed that we have been including the v4 plugin, although the intent was for us to transition from the web interface, to our own that communicates directly with the FB app. So we do have this line:

facebook=require(“plugin.facebook.v4”)

Could it be that this connects to FB analytics on iOS but not on Android, just by including it? And if so, with a facebook.init be something we could do? Is there a way to do this by only sending our FB App ID without any user info?

First I would recommend you switch to the v4a plugin. We addressed some ANR’s being reported on Google Play.  I have no idea how the various Facebook SDK’s connect to FB analytics. I’m not sure it’s something our team ever considered. 

Maybe you could try calling the publishedInstall API? and see if that’s enough to trigger the analytics. That can be done without logging in.

Rob

Did you copy-and-paste that?

If so, you have android spelled wrongly.

@romaininggamer - it was a typo made in this forum. The code is right. And I fixed the spelling above.

Does anyone have an ideas about how to solve this? Or is something else required for me to get the FB analytics to recognize the Android version?

For Android, key names like facebookAppId, they are specified in “camelCase” and the lower case “f” is correct.  Apple uses Pascal Case for its key names, which upper-cases the first letter.

Rob

@troy

Good deal. I figured as much.  Just wanted to be sure.

Can anyone please help with this? What is necessary to make sure that FB analytics receives info from Corona upon launch other than:

android = {

…

I have no idea how FB gets analytics data. There is no magic in build.settings. It’s possible calling facebook.init() does something on the analytics side. Maybe it’s calling facebook.login(). I’m not sure I follow what you mean by “connecting via web interface”.

Rob

@Rob, the strange thing about this is that we don’t call FB.init, ever, since we handle FB via a web interface.

All FB sharing, etc… is done via web interface.

The only time we call the FB graph API is when we get photos of your FB players in the leaderboard.

With that said, I have noticed that we have been including the v4 plugin, although the intent was for us to transition from the web interface, to our own that communicates directly with the FB app. So we do have this line:

facebook=require(“plugin.facebook.v4”)

Could it be that this connects to FB analytics on iOS but not on Android, just by including it? And if so, with a facebook.init be something we could do? Is there a way to do this by only sending our FB App ID without any user info?

First I would recommend you switch to the v4a plugin. We addressed some ANR’s being reported on Google Play.  I have no idea how the various Facebook SDK’s connect to FB analytics. I’m not sure it’s something our team ever considered. 

Maybe you could try calling the publishedInstall API? and see if that’s enough to trigger the analytics. That can be done without logging in.

Rob