Issue when signing Mac app with developer ID application certificate

I followed an old corona post for signing an app to be sold outside of the app store.

Instructions are:

• Build for MacOs

• Provisioning profile select ‘None’

• After build select  "Do Nothing’

Then open terminal and use:

codesign --deep -f -s “Developer ID Application: <your_company_name>” <path_to_app.app>

Note: (your_company_name would be exactly what is shown in key access)

First time I did this terminal asked for keyaccess password which is fine, (i selected allow always), then when the codesigning was finished it mentioned something about not being able to find a timestamp.

So I ran the same code in terminal again then it ended up saying 'resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed"

Now no matter how many times i rebuild a fresh build and then do the codesigning in terminal (it no longer asks for the key access password which i assume makes sense since i selected allow always), it always gives that same message about ‘resource fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed’ after completing.

I assume that means it did not properly sign the app?

Anyone familiar with signing Mac apps for selling outside of the mac app store? In particular anyone familiar with codesigning in terminal?

Again, any help from corona devs, much appreciated :slight_smile:

OKay, found some other info online, if you get the above error when trying to codesigning your app for use outside of app store, you can try do below. After doing the below terminal codes it seems to have codesigned properly without any errors.

From within terminal window, first do:

xattr -lr <path_to_app.app>

Second do:

xattr -cr <path_to_app.app>

Hope this will help any devs putting their mac games on steam… the of course redo the codesign code in terminal window mentioned in earlier post.

Note: You will need to run the below line again in terminal:

codesign --deep -f -s “Developer ID Application: <your_company_name>” <path_to_app.app>

Note 2: Be very careful with your " , I had one normal straight " and one curved " and I couldn’t figure out why codesign didn’t work in terminal when I was code signing another time.

Lastly, I thought I would also share this as I know nuts about using terminal so perhaps some other devs are in the same boat as me:

To verify that your app has been properly signed for outside the app store use:

codesign --verify --verbose <path_to_app.app>

Hope this is of helps, all this non-app stoer code signing really frustrated me a lot :slight_smile:

OKay, found some other info online, if you get the above error when trying to codesigning your app for use outside of app store, you can try do below. After doing the below terminal codes it seems to have codesigned properly without any errors.

From within terminal window, first do:

xattr -lr <path_to_app.app>

Second do:

xattr -cr <path_to_app.app>

Hope this will help any devs putting their mac games on steam… the of course redo the codesign code in terminal window mentioned in earlier post.

Note: You will need to run the below line again in terminal:

Note 2: Be very careful with your " , I had one normal straight " and one curved " and I couldn’t figure out why codesign didn’t work in terminal when I was code signing another time.

Lastly, I thought I would also share this as I know nuts about using terminal so perhaps some other devs are in the same boat as me:

To verify that your app has been properly signed for outside the app store use:

codesign --verify --verbose <path_to_app.app>

Hope this is of helps, all this non-app stoer code signing really frustrated me a lot :slight_smile: