Kineticurve

Here’s another entry. Well, half entry. I’ve done 2 hours, and hopefully will be able to come back to do the other 2 before the time’s up.

In Kineticurve, you roll around a world made up of curved paths, not unlike a huge pinball machine. Tapping the screen applies a pulse of energy that reverses your direction, whatever direction you happen to be going at the time. You also collect dots as you go, because, hey, why not?

What I am happy about so far:

• Making a map in tiled, exporting it as a lua file, and writing a level builder function that slurps that export up and turns it into a visual (and physical) level. I have used json exports from Tiled a few times with Lime and MTE, but didn’t know about Tiled’s lua export capabilities until very recently. Really happy about that.

• Using the new graphics.newOutline API to make curved track pieces out of images. graphics.newOutline is so awesome.

• Dynamic level repositioning so that the char always stays in the center of the screen, even though the physics engine thinks it is going all over. Once again I was surprised that it let me move the physics group all over like that without any resistance. Yay Corona!

• The interaction feels good. The world runs fast and responsively.

What I am unsure of:

• What the objective of the game should be. Do you insert a start and a finish and pits of spikes everywhere, and make it into a puzzle game? Do you make collecting all the dots the goal, like Pac Man?

So we’ll see. If I get any bright ideas I’ll come back and try to get them in under the wire.

Cool man!  Two entries?!?!?!?!  I need to get cracking on my own entry!  Time is running short!

Did you ever finish this one?

No; what you see is as far as I got. It’s going into my “What do I do with this now?” folder. I think the interaction, and just the overall speed and movement of the world, are both really solid. I still don’t have a good vision for how I would build objectives and opportunities for mastery into the game. I’m hoping that if I go work on other projects and then return to it, some next steps might reveal themselves.

Cool man!  Two entries?!?!?!?!  I need to get cracking on my own entry!  Time is running short!

Did you ever finish this one?

No; what you see is as far as I got. It’s going into my “What do I do with this now?” folder. I think the interaction, and just the overall speed and movement of the world, are both really solid. I still don’t have a good vision for how I would build objectives and opportunities for mastery into the game. I’m hoping that if I go work on other projects and then return to it, some next steps might reveal themselves.