LD basic questions

Hey,

Lately I found Level Director. I wanted use it but I have some questions:

1. I have 32bit Windows 7 system. When I’m running and using  LD I have a lot of errors.

System.AccessViolationException and others.

I know theres annotation “If you are using a 32 bit version of windows and experience problems then please download this version;” at the official LD site. I tried to use it but didn’t help.

Do you think all I need here is windows 7 64bit?

2.What’s the best way to use LD? I mean use Level director to made levels then click export (what will gives me Level01.lua and so on). Write main.lua file by my self and edit whole Level.lua files ONLY by Level Director or I can/should use  some text editor too( similar to main.lua edit)?

1. If I should edit Level.lua files only by LD is there some way to make dynamic/random object which will show on the screen?

4. Are there some tutorials for LD? I know there’re examples projects but I mean some videos( I found only 2) or articles?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for trying Level Director, I’ll try and answer your questions:

1. If you experience Access errors then please try running LD as an Administrator (to make it always run as admin - right-click application and go to properties and Compatibility tab) 

2. LD separates YOUR code from the LD exports, so like you say once you have exported a level you should never touch it, this will allow you to export it as many times as needed.  So it is only main.lua you’ll need to edit via some kind of text editor, and the code will reference the LD levels.

3. This is the advantage of LD asset manager, where it will export all your assets and properties such as physics, you can then use the supplied library files to add objects dynamically simply by providing the asset name.  The assetTest example shows you how to do this.

4. I’m still working on tutorials but have you checked these out - http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/tutorials/

The quick reference guide is also a useful starting point - http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/quick-start-guide/

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks.

Thanks for your answers.

I tried launch LD as the admin but it isn’t work( still have these errors). 

I forgot ask about the price. is it only cost 19.99$ or it’s some subscription?

I will try to launch LD in windows 7 64bit and I’ll see are there problems too. 

Do you know when this tutorial will be available?

If you are getting access violation errors this normally means it does not have permission to write to the registry.

Also, when you installed the 32-bit version did you uninstall the original version first?

Yes it only costs a one-off payment of $19.99, no subscription.

What kind of tutorial are you looking for based on the ones that exist now?

Yes I uninstall the orginal version. I installed LD at the PC with windows 7 64bit and it looks fine. 

I tried to find some tutorials which gives me some informations about LD and libraries what LD uses. But I guess the best option now will be look examples projects and ask questions here if I will have some.

I’m pleased you got it working, let me know if you need any more help.

Hi,

Thanks for trying Level Director, I’ll try and answer your questions:

1. If you experience Access errors then please try running LD as an Administrator (to make it always run as admin - right-click application and go to properties and Compatibility tab) 

2. LD separates YOUR code from the LD exports, so like you say once you have exported a level you should never touch it, this will allow you to export it as many times as needed.  So it is only main.lua you’ll need to edit via some kind of text editor, and the code will reference the LD levels.

3. This is the advantage of LD asset manager, where it will export all your assets and properties such as physics, you can then use the supplied library files to add objects dynamically simply by providing the asset name.  The assetTest example shows you how to do this.

4. I’m still working on tutorials but have you checked these out - http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/tutorials/

The quick reference guide is also a useful starting point - http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/quick-start-guide/

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks.

Thanks for your answers.

I tried launch LD as the admin but it isn’t work( still have these errors). 

I forgot ask about the price. is it only cost 19.99$ or it’s some subscription?

I will try to launch LD in windows 7 64bit and I’ll see are there problems too. 

Do you know when this tutorial will be available?

If you are getting access violation errors this normally means it does not have permission to write to the registry.

Also, when you installed the 32-bit version did you uninstall the original version first?

Yes it only costs a one-off payment of $19.99, no subscription.

What kind of tutorial are you looking for based on the ones that exist now?

Yes I uninstall the orginal version. I installed LD at the PC with windows 7 64bit and it looks fine. 

I tried to find some tutorials which gives me some informations about LD and libraries what LD uses. But I guess the best option now will be look examples projects and ask questions here if I will have some.

I’m pleased you got it working, let me know if you need any more help.