Level Director - Level creation tool for windows

Please check out my new level director tool at www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director

As a windows user I struggled to find a good level editor that met my requirements so I created a one that did.

I tried Gumbo but I really wanted to have multiple layers and was not keen on the export and the way it handled assets, but still a great free tool.

I then used Lime and Tiled but just found them too restrictive if you were trying to create a level that was not completely tile based. I also encountered major performance problems on Android.

Level Helper looks fantastic but is for Mac only, boo.

The main features of Level Director are;
* Multiple layers
* Allows different grids (as guides and snap) on each layer
* Collision editor
* Physics Editor and complex bodies
* Show physic bodies on a layer
* Corona LUA export - level file has its own function to create display objects and a simple structure to access all elements
* Asset based so just drag and drop existing assets
* Support for sprite sheets
* For Windows users
* Rapid copy and paste
* Corona launch button
* Supports TexturePacker and PhysicsEditor
* Animation editor
* Joints
* Bézier Curves
* Paths
* Many more features and always improving.

Check it out and let me know what you think and how it can be improved.

Thanks
J [import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 330669[/import]

I’m not a Windows guy so I don’t have any suggestions, but it looks really cool.

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 122899[/import]

Looks very well done, and thank you for adding another great resource to the windows community!

I’ll be sure to get it soon

-Boxie [import]uid: 113909 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 122929[/import]

Looks nice… will give it a try for an upcoming title I am working on. [import]uid: 114363 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 122949[/import]

A friend of mine point this out to me yesterday, I don’t use Windows but it looks excellent and if I do get a PC going again at some point will certainly check it out.

Peach :slight_smile: [import]uid: 52491 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 123085[/import]

Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

I’m in the process to allow Text Objects to be added and I should have an upate in the next couple of days.
Any other suggestions are most welcome.
[import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 123224[/import]

I’m not a Windows guy so I don’t have any suggestions, but it looks really cool.

Jay [import]uid: 9440 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 122899[/import]

Looks very well done, and thank you for adding another great resource to the windows community!

I’ll be sure to get it soon

-Boxie [import]uid: 113909 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 122929[/import]

Looks nice… will give it a try for an upcoming title I am working on. [import]uid: 114363 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 122949[/import]

A friend of mine point this out to me yesterday, I don’t use Windows but it looks excellent and if I do get a PC going again at some point will certainly check it out.

Peach :slight_smile: [import]uid: 52491 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 123085[/import]

Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

I’m in the process to allow Text Objects to be added and I should have an upate in the next couple of days.
Any other suggestions are most welcome.
[import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 123224[/import]

Level Director v1.4 has just been released and contains loads of fixes and new features, including text objects, object tree view, post object callback and option to setup a collision handler and specify which objects are under its control.

Download it at www.retrofitproductions.com

Coming soon - button objects.

[import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 129305[/import]

Level Director v1.4 has just been released and contains loads of fixes and new features, including text objects, object tree view, post object callback and option to setup a collision handler and specify which objects are under its control.

Download it at www.retrofitproductions.com

Coming soon - button objects.

[import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 129305[/import]

Just released Level Director v1.5 at www.retrofitproductions.com

This release now adds support for ‘Rectangle’ and ‘Circle’ display objects.
I think I have covered all their properties like rounded corners etc and you can even apply physic attributes to them.
Included in the download is a simple Pong game example that shows these objects in use.

My 5 year old son actually loves this game, more so than games I’ve spent months on, typical.

It only uses built-in vector objects and contains some simple AI to control the CPU player and keeps track of the score.

You can get the source from here;
http://www.retrofitproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2012/10/Pong.rar

If anyone is interested I might turn this into a mini tutorial for newbies, but the code is quite simple.
[import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 131295[/import]

Nice, does it support spritesheets? [import]uid: 53195 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 131304[/import]

This looks very nice! I’ll probably buy it after I’ve played around with it a little more. Coronalabs should promote this somehow, too bad if its just forgotten in the forum [import]uid: 19086 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 131305[/import]

Yes it supports simple spritesheets i.e. all frames but be the same size.

When you add an asset it prompts you with the image width and height, here you can modify these values to get the number of frames.
An asset is then created for each frame.

When using animation sequences you can specify the start frame and no of frames and the export will do the rest. [import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 131306[/import]

Hi classic1144, I am currently working with CoronaLabs to get this promoted but they seem very busy at the moment so it is difficult to get responses.

Please explore it though and let me know your thoughts and suggestions. [import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 131308[/import]

If you would like to check out some of the examples that come with Level Director before downloading it you can get them here;
http://www.retrofitproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2012/10/Examples.rar

The examples give a good feel for what can be exported from Level Director.

On a slightly different note I would like to mention one option being overlooked by some users which is the rapid copy and paste.
When you select an object hold down CTRL+[arrow key] and the object will be duplicated in that direction, this will save you loads of time when you need to repeat the same object.
SHIFT+[arrow] moves the object.

[import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 131317[/import]

Just released Level Director v1.5 at www.retrofitproductions.com

This release now adds support for ‘Rectangle’ and ‘Circle’ display objects.
I think I have covered all their properties like rounded corners etc and you can even apply physic attributes to them.
Included in the download is a simple Pong game example that shows these objects in use.

My 5 year old son actually loves this game, more so than games I’ve spent months on, typical.

It only uses built-in vector objects and contains some simple AI to control the CPU player and keeps track of the score.

You can get the source from here;
http://www.retrofitproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2012/10/Pong.rar

If anyone is interested I might turn this into a mini tutorial for newbies, but the code is quite simple.
[import]uid: 175213 topic_id: 30669 reply_id: 131295[/import]