Level Director - New Release

I started a new topic to highlight new releases as the main thread spans too many pages now.

Level Director v2.8 Released (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/download/)

•    Modify: Moved registry creation into install to prevent access denied errors.
•    Fix: Changed Composer example to use relative paths to prevent issue with not finding images.
•    Fix: Reworked physics on lines as Corona deprecated the ability to do so.
•    Fix: blendMode is now exported and template and helper files modified to use it.
•    New: Culling method added to layer. Work in progress but ‘destroy’ will remove objects when moved off screen.
•    Fix: Updated example projects to use new lib functions.
•    Fix: Follow path ‘rotate’ parameter was broken so LD_Helper_G2 changed to correct it.

•    Fix: Button over bug fixed
•    Update: MRU list is now stored in registry to prevent access denied problems on save.
•    New: The .ldf extension is now registered as a Level Director file so you can open them directly from file explorer.
•    Fix: The image sheet width and height are now exported correctly so dynamic scaling works.
•    Fix: Sprite Sheets are refreshed across all levels rather than current just in case they have been modified.
•    New: Gradient Fill added to Rectangle, Ellipse and Polygon objects.
•    New: An EmptyProject has been added to the examples folder which can be copied and used as a starting point when creating new projects.
•    New: Utility function removeLevel() now has an optional param ‘retainSpriteSheetTextures’ which if true will not unload the textures (This is useful if levels share the same assets).
•    Fix: Tooltip in Polygon Editor corrected.
•    Fix: Validate against invalid image formats.
•    New: Composer example created.
•    Fix: G2Test example, button click fixed.
•    Modify: Corona_TemplateG2.lua modified to export level as a table to avoid using modules(…, package.seeall).
•    Modify: setCameraFocus now has two optional parameters ‘trackX’ and ‘trackY’, default is true but you can set to false to disable tracking on the X or Y axis.
•    Modify: Improved Scroller2 example project.

Just wanted to say congrats. This looks like a great tool.

If i ever get a spare minute, I will check it out :smiley:

Thanks for getting the blendMode in as quick as you did! Very appreciative! (:

@Gremlin, thanks and please give it a try I would appreciate your feedback.

@chriszuko, you’re welcome, thanks for pointing out I had missed it from the export  :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say congrats. This looks like a great tool.

If i ever get a spare minute, I will check it out :smiley:

Thanks for getting the blendMode in as quick as you did! Very appreciative! (:

@Gremlin, thanks and please give it a try I would appreciate your feedback.

@chriszuko, you’re welcome, thanks for pointing out I had missed it from the export  :slight_smile:

Level Director v2.9.2 released   (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/download/)

• Fixed: snap size to grid.

• New: Asset files are no longer locked and a new refresh button has been added to the asset window to reload them.

• New: LD_Helper - Added two new functions ‘layerObjects’ and ‘getAllObjects’ to help obtain objects within a level.

• Fix: Allow negative scroll speeds.

• Fix: Fixed crash when moving objects fast.

• New: Added new button to export only the current level as opposed to all.

• Fix: Some optimisations.

• New: LD_Helper – Added new function ‘addObject’ to allow any display object to be added to the LD engine.

How do I upgrade from an old version?

Also I am wondering if it’s just me but I find that there is a problem when it comes to moving .ldf files to another directory. It produces so many errors. ie. if I make a level in C:/windows/desktop/game/ - with its resource folders levels, images and lib and then I decided I want to move it to c:/game - if I copy and paste everything and try to load the .ldf file from this directory it will no longer be able to load the assets from the images folder. I assume in the .ldf file you are using whole path names? is it possible to use something where the path is just the location of the idf file and have it just reference /images from there?

It’s annoying for teams who are working on a game on different machines.

Just a suggestion!

Thanks for the update I’m excited to try it!

Hi,

To upgrade simply download the new version using the free download button (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/download/) and then uninstall your current version and install the new.

LD does try to store relative paths but if it can’t resolve them within the local project folder it will store them as the full path, or if the level file was created prior to supporting relative paths then they will also be the full path.

You can simply edit the .ldf file in a text editor and search and replace the paths to correct them.

If you look at the PottyBird ldf file you’ll see the filenames are all prefixed with the project folder ‘PottyBird’ and not the full path.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Level Director v2.9.3 released   (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director)

• New: Support for non ASCII characters when exporting.
• Fix: Loading some jpg files caused an ‘Out of Memory’ error.
• Modify: Improved version checking to use internal settings rather than registry to avoid permission problems.
• Fix: Version display fixed on splash screen.
• Fix: Texture Fill now displays correct frame when part of a sprite sheet.
• Modify: Levels are now ordered in alphabetical order.

Level Director v2.9.2 released   (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/download/)

• Fixed: snap size to grid.

• New: Asset files are no longer locked and a new refresh button has been added to the asset window to reload them.

• New: LD_Helper - Added two new functions ‘layerObjects’ and ‘getAllObjects’ to help obtain objects within a level.

• Fix: Allow negative scroll speeds.

• Fix: Fixed crash when moving objects fast.

• New: Added new button to export only the current level as opposed to all.

• Fix: Some optimisations.

• New: LD_Helper – Added new function ‘addObject’ to allow any display object to be added to the LD engine.

How do I upgrade from an old version?

Also I am wondering if it’s just me but I find that there is a problem when it comes to moving .ldf files to another directory. It produces so many errors. ie. if I make a level in C:/windows/desktop/game/ - with its resource folders levels, images and lib and then I decided I want to move it to c:/game - if I copy and paste everything and try to load the .ldf file from this directory it will no longer be able to load the assets from the images folder. I assume in the .ldf file you are using whole path names? is it possible to use something where the path is just the location of the idf file and have it just reference /images from there?

It’s annoying for teams who are working on a game on different machines.

Just a suggestion!

Thanks for the update I’m excited to try it!

Hi,

To upgrade simply download the new version using the free download button (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director/download/) and then uninstall your current version and install the new.

LD does try to store relative paths but if it can’t resolve them within the local project folder it will store them as the full path, or if the level file was created prior to supporting relative paths then they will also be the full path.

You can simply edit the .ldf file in a text editor and search and replace the paths to correct them.

If you look at the PottyBird ldf file you’ll see the filenames are all prefixed with the project folder ‘PottyBird’ and not the full path.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Level Director v2.9.3 released   (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director)

• New: Support for non ASCII characters when exporting.
• Fix: Loading some jpg files caused an ‘Out of Memory’ error.
• Modify: Improved version checking to use internal settings rather than registry to avoid permission problems.
• Fix: Version display fixed on splash screen.
• Fix: Texture Fill now displays correct frame when part of a sprite sheet.
• Modify: Levels are now ordered in alphabetical order.

Level Director v2.9.4 Released   (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director)

•Fix: Gravity Scale is now copied correctly during copy and paste.

•New: LD_HelperG2.lua has new flag ‘_CHAIN_PHYSICS’ (default true) which when enabled will use chain edge physics on Bezier and Path objects. This provides a much smoother action when objects roll along them.

•Fix: FollowPath rotation now honours original rotation value of object.

•Fix: Button object ‘default’ state does not render correctly when rotated in LD.

•Fix: Trap error when rendering open type fonts not supported by GDI+, Arial is used instead (export is ok).

Level Director v2.9.4 Released   (http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director)

•Fix: Gravity Scale is now copied correctly during copy and paste.

•New: LD_HelperG2.lua has new flag ‘_CHAIN_PHYSICS’ (default true) which when enabled will use chain edge physics on Bezier and Path objects. This provides a much smoother action when objects roll along them.

•Fix: FollowPath rotation now honours original rotation value of object.

•Fix: Button object ‘default’ state does not render correctly when rotated in LD.

•Fix: Trap error when rendering open type fonts not supported by GDI+, Arial is used instead (export is ok).