Level Director X for Windows errors

(I have also posted this in the General Discussions forum)

I have reported this problem to Allan (he has helped me big time with old LD), at support@retrofitproductions but so far I haven’t got any new feedback yet.  

I’m hoping anyone has encountered a similar problem and was able to fix it.

Here goes:

I am an old user of Level Director, which i find very helpful in creating levels.  I decided to download the new Full Version of Level Director X for Windows and installed it.  

Each time I create a new project, I always get an error message:   “Error Saving Project  -  Could not open file for writing”.   There’s “OK” as the only option, so I click OK and it continues to ask for the New Level parameters (level name, target device, level size, etc…)… then it brings me to the project… I save the project, name it, then exit LDX.  The next time I launch LDX and try to open my project(s) , it always prompts for another error:  “could not find c:…\myFolder\Level01.ldx”.  It seems to always look for an LDX file in every project I make, which cannot be found.  It must be related to the first error when I first created the new project.  

It gets annoying since LDX seems to be a promising tool (I have used the old Level Director and it worked for me).    I have reported this problem to the author many times, but there isn’t a feedback yet.

Appreciate anyone who can help.  Thanks.

P.S.

At a later time,  I noticed that LDX creates the file Level01 in one of the subfolders in the installation folder -  C:\Program Files (x86)\Level Director X\project_templates  and NOT in the ‘levels’ subfolder my project folder.  

Santi

Hi Santi,

Thanks for highlighting this issue and I know we have spoken already about it but for others it is useful to reply here too.

The problem is due to spaces in the folder name as the intention was to strip out spaces in the project name but instead it stripped them out of the whole folder name too, oops.

This has been resolved in the upcoming 1.02 version but for now select a project folder without spaces and it should all work fine.

Thanks

Thanks Alan!  

I was just thinking if anyone else had the experience and managed to find out a work-around.  

Will wait for the fix!  Thanks for the support.

Santi

Hi Santi,

Using folders without spaces is the work-around but I have now released v1.0.2  which should resolve this issue so please download it (use free version) and give it a try.

Thanks

Alan

Fantastic Alan!  That was a quick one!   

Thanks so much.

This is quite a small release as I thought it was important to get this fix out.

It does contain a new feature though which allows buttons, polygons, rectangles and ellipse objects to be filled with an asset/image. This is especially useful for buttons where you can set an ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ state image, optionally with rounded corners all through LDX and simply export and run your project (latest LDX_Helper file required).

Give it a try.

nice

Hi Santi,

Thanks for highlighting this issue and I know we have spoken already about it but for others it is useful to reply here too.

The problem is due to spaces in the folder name as the intention was to strip out spaces in the project name but instead it stripped them out of the whole folder name too, oops.

This has been resolved in the upcoming 1.02 version but for now select a project folder without spaces and it should all work fine.

Thanks

Thanks Alan!  

I was just thinking if anyone else had the experience and managed to find out a work-around.  

Will wait for the fix!  Thanks for the support.

Santi

Hi Santi,

Using folders without spaces is the work-around but I have now released v1.0.2  which should resolve this issue so please download it (use free version) and give it a try.

Thanks

Alan

Fantastic Alan!  That was a quick one!   

Thanks so much.

This is quite a small release as I thought it was important to get this fix out.

It does contain a new feature though which allows buttons, polygons, rectangles and ellipse objects to be filled with an asset/image. This is especially useful for buttons where you can set an ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ state image, optionally with rounded corners all through LDX and simply export and run your project (latest LDX_Helper file required).

Give it a try.

nice