Look Out For Background Ads Loading During Game!

Hi,

I’ve started testing my game on Android, and the device I have has quite a crappy wifi [samsung galaxy s2] and I’m quite far away from router at the moment.

I’m using banner and fullscreen preloading, so that I can display the ad at the suitable moment immediately.

I’ve coded it so that the ad is loaded every once in a while, and after it’s loaded I show it to the user after level is complete. 

Because of that, after I call load() on my banner the game stops.

It took about 10 seconds to get this information:

I/Corona ( 4441): [RevMob] Reason: No ads for this device/country right now, or your App ID is paused. (204) 

And during that time, game didn’t respond.

The logic I’ve put in place to manage ads, will try to get the ad after 30seconds if it failed before, so after 30 seconds I’ve experienced similar lock.

I’m not saying it’s RevMob’s fault, all I’m saying is that you should plan carefully when to load your ads, so that users won’t suffer.

It might be, that this is happening because of the recent change in networking, but I’m not sure - haven’t tested it on this handset before.

Thanks,

Krystian

Hi Krystian, thanks for your feedback.

Corona has some network issues in Android. Because of that, the RevMob SDK uses a custom library to make its requests.

Corona SDK now have a 2.0 networking library, but it appears to be an issue or an incompatibility with the RevMob SDK in the Builds 1043-1051. After 1051 the issue appears to be solved.

In the future, the RevMob SDK will try to use this new 2.0 native library of Corona to check if we can remove the custom library we use.

Best regards

Paulo

http://about.me/paulocheque

About the “No ads” message, we recommend it to use testing mode.

We have been done some important improvements in the server and sales side that will avoid this message to happen.

Also, take a look in the new documentation: sdk.revmob.com/corona

Best regards

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

I’m using 1054 at the moment, and I try to load the ads when user is not playing [between levels]. When the ads are downloaded the animations shutter and look ugly.

Same thing happens when I suspend my game and revive it. RevMob is starting the session and during that time game is unplayable.

From the other post I can see that this might just be Android issue, but for the sake of having minimal code differences between ios and android I try to keep the logic same.

Hi Krystian, thanks for your feedback.

Corona has some network issues in Android. Because of that, the RevMob SDK uses a custom library to make its requests.

Corona SDK now have a 2.0 networking library, but it appears to be an issue or an incompatibility with the RevMob SDK in the Builds 1043-1051. After 1051 the issue appears to be solved.

In the future, the RevMob SDK will try to use this new 2.0 native library of Corona to check if we can remove the custom library we use.

Best regards

Paulo

About the “No ads” message, we recommend it to use testing mode.

We have been done some important improvements in the server and sales side that will avoid this message to happen.

Also, take a look in the new documentation: sdk.revmob.com/corona

Best regards

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

I’m using 1054 at the moment, and I try to load the ads when user is not playing [between levels]. When the ads are downloaded the animations shutter and look ugly.

Same thing happens when I suspend my game and revive it. RevMob is starting the session and during that time game is unplayable.

From the other post I can see that this might just be Android issue, but for the sake of having minimal code differences between ios and android I try to keep the logic same.

I am using CoronaSDK 2013.1064 and I can not get these ads to work anymore - I just downloaded the RevMob SDK and nothing I still get the same error that is at the op of the page.

Applied to IOS / and Galaxy S devices.

what is the Deal with revMob.  Should I not bother with revmob and just interactive instead?

Larry

I am using CoronaSDK 2013.1064 and I can not get these ads to work anymore - I just downloaded the RevMob SDK and nothing I still get the same error that is at the op of the page.

Applied to IOS / and Galaxy S devices.

what is the Deal with revMob.  Should I not bother with revmob and just interactive instead?

Larry