Hi, has anyone managed to find or get a file compression system working with Corona? I see some libraries out there for it but it looks like most require that you include a c file which is a bit of a problem. I have some large XML files that are taking up the build of my build size. Compressing them would drastically drop the file size i send to the app store being as they are really just text files and highly compressible.
Also, I know this is on the roadmap but that doesn’t exactly help atm [import]uid: 147305 topic_id: 29852 reply_id: 329852[/import]
I did find one, but they aren’t going to be very fast for anything of significant size on a device. The problem is that lua 5.1 doesn’t have any bit operations, so they have to be implemented with really slow divide and mod operations. Even something simple like base64 takes a long time on a 10K file using Lua only code, so doing gzip would be really bad I think. If we had a bit library available, or lua 5.2, we might have a better chance (or just a gzip library
– Authors: jjsheets and Galmok of European Stormrage (Horde)
– Email : sheets.jeff@gmail.com and galmok@gmail.com
– Licence: GPL version 2 (General Public License) [import]uid: 122310 topic_id: 29852 reply_id: 119749[/import]
I’ll probably see about implementing that in the next two weeks. I am actually not too worried about performance as my only concern is making the deployable app size smaller. I am completely OK if the user has a 1 time wait while I uncompress things.
Thanks for the info! [import]uid: 147305 topic_id: 29852 reply_id: 119751[/import]
I did find one, but they aren’t going to be very fast for anything of significant size on a device. The problem is that lua 5.1 doesn’t have any bit operations, so they have to be implemented with really slow divide and mod operations. Even something simple like base64 takes a long time on a 10K file using Lua only code, so doing gzip would be really bad I think. If we had a bit library available, or lua 5.2, we might have a better chance (or just a gzip library
– Authors: jjsheets and Galmok of European Stormrage (Horde)
– Email : sheets.jeff@gmail.com and galmok@gmail.com
– Licence: GPL version 2 (General Public License) [import]uid: 122310 topic_id: 29852 reply_id: 119749[/import]
I’ll probably see about implementing that in the next two weeks. I am actually not too worried about performance as my only concern is making the deployable app size smaller. I am completely OK if the user has a 1 time wait while I uncompress things.
Thanks for the info! [import]uid: 147305 topic_id: 29852 reply_id: 119751[/import]
Im new here .and I just compress image using some sample codes.and I found image compression libraryand copied the sample code ,however It dosen’t work for me.anyone can help me out?
using System.IO;
using System.Drawing.Printing;
using RasterEdge.Imaging;
using RasterEdge.Imaging.Codec.Compression;
XML are text files. They should be compressed for you when building the app bundle. iOS produces a .ZIP file and .APK’s are just renamed .ZIP files anyway.
Im new here .and I just compress image using some sample codes.and I found image compression libraryand copied the sample code ,however It dosen’t work for me.anyone can help me out?
using System.IO;
using System.Drawing.Printing;
using RasterEdge.Imaging;
using RasterEdge.Imaging.Codec.Compression;
XML are text files. They should be compressed for you when building the app bundle. iOS produces a .ZIP file and .APK’s are just renamed .ZIP files anyway.