Lua Glider 2.0 Released! Integrated Profiler and More

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your continued support. We are pleased to announce the milestone release of Lua Glider Version 2.0. Exciting new features in this release include the integrated profiler, much improved performance, updated stubs, and numerous bug fixes and UI enhancements. All existing Glider owners will receive an email including additional upgrade information.

Please download Glider from:

http://www.mydevelopersgames.com/Glider/

The license will now include a 1 year maintenance subscription to Glider. The Glider maintenance subscription includes access to all major and minor updates. After your subscription expires you may still use Glider without renewing.

Please email us with your questions and/or concerns. All trial periods have been reset, if you tried Glider in the past you may try it again for 30 days.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Awesome - seems to be working very well so far, much lower mem/cpu consumption.

Are there any guides/tutorials on the Profiler integration?

Hi,  I just bought LuaGlider 20 days ago, do I get a free upgrade?

Thanks, Greg

@ SegaBoy,

Great! Hopefully things will stay that way. The Profiler integration should be very simple to use at the moment. In the future we will add more complex features and a tutorial will be required. For now all you have to do is just press the profile button (just as you would debug) and it should just work. The tabs should be self explanatory. 

The only confusing terminology is “Self time.” What that means is the time spent in the function itself minus any time spent in subroutines.

@Greg,

Please email us and we will get you a free upgrade.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Just downloaded and purchased upgrade, but cannot get updates (similar to the issue with v19 where you posted a different URL us use in plugin settings). Is there another updates.xml i should point to? Also, cannot ‘apply’ new themes because the apply button is grayed out. Please assist!

I have to admit, the speed issues with 1.9 had me on the verge of dropping Glider and going to Sublime, but I just downloaded the 2.0 release and it’s back to it’s best.

Good work chaps, this is great stuff! 

Nice work :slight_smile:

@Guy,

Also, cannot ‘apply’ new themes because the apply button is grayed out. Please assist!

Can you please send a screenshot of where this problem is occurring? There are not any updates for 2.0 yet, 2.0.1 will be out as we fix bugs and we will let you know when it is ready

@Crussel and Danny,

Thanks!

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Super quick response!  Glider is installed and running great.  I’m enjoying the great performance and the syntax highlighting!!!

Thanks Again, Greg

I didn’t get an email, my old key doesn’t unlock Glider2.

When will the emails with the new keys be sent out?

edited… when I first tried to use find, it opened a dialog box.  Didn’t like it at all and it was “Find in Project”…

after some use, find is working correctly, opening the text boxes below the code screen…hmmm

Any help would be great.

Nail

I figured out what I was doing wrong! Apologies for the false alarm!

How do you work with the profiler, what are acceptable parameters?  Can you release a small tutoral for it so We will know what we are looking at/for. 

@ SeirraManagement,

Thank you for your questions. At present there are no parameters, we will make things more customization as the features demand them but we want to keep things as configuration free as possible. For now all you do is open up a project and press the profile button, as easy as you would debug a project. The profiler will give you the following metrics:

1. Function level performance metrics. This tells you the percent of the total time spent in a particular function. This does not include time spent out of lua (for example the physics loop, opengl render loop, etc)

2. Line level hitcount metric, This lets you know where the “hot loop” regions are in your app. These highly executed lines of code should be your targets of optimization, if it is needed at all.

3. CPU/Memory graph- real time graphs show memory usage (in kb) and cpu usage (in percent). The CPU usage is the percentage of time spent inside lua code. This is useful to get a good idea of how efficient your game loop is. Anything above around 80 to 90% and you will probably begin to see frame rate drops. We plan to make this view extensible in the future allowing you to add more metrics to this graph in real time.

4. Call graph- gives you a quick overview of what function is calling what. Darker lines/arrows mean more function calls. This is a fraction of the total function calls made to present. This gives you an idea of the overall organizational structure of your code. Those functions with the highest fan-in (in other words those functions that are called the most) may be good nuclei for optimization.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Just to be clear, you no longer need to include profiler,lua and you wont need to add any require statements to your main.lua. This really is a one click solution.

Has the email gone out to existing Glider owners?  I would love to upgrade.

thanks,

Hello Schizoid,

We sent out a newsletter to all existing Glider customers. Please send us an email and we will get you an upgrade coupon. 

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Thanks!  Sending email now.

Schizoid,

Thanks, sent you a promo code.

Regards,

M.Y. Developers

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I bought version 2 of Lua glider and I noticed that the Navigator window is not showing anything for a page, with the exception when I have a global variable, not sure if I have to change a setting. Do you know how I can make it show all the details like in version 1.7? I have cliked the filters at the bottom of the screen and nothing changes.

In order to see the details of a table or variable in the Navigator window, I have to open the project version 1.7 but that is not very convenient, I really like all the features in version 2.

Also on the Mac Version, every time I open a new project LuaGlider freezes and I have to manually shut it down. The Windows version doesn’t have this issue.

Regards

Hector

Hello Hector,

In order to see the details of a table or variable in the Navigator window, I have to open the project version 1.7 but that is not very convenient, I really like all the features in version 2.

Please see this screenshot to customize the navigator:

http://view.xscreenshot.com/9768ddd704a8c89b61927b3725aec2de

Also on the Mac Version, every time I open a new project LuaGlider freezes

Does any project cause the program to freeze?

Regards,

M.Y. Developers